when to find a breeder?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by mrs918, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mrs918

mrs918 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    This may be a very stupid question, and I may not have it in the right section [​IMG] if so sorry! Buttt... How soon should I find a breeder before I am ready to buy? (specifically looking for a silkie) I originally thought I would just craigslist or google when I was ready... But it seems to be harder to find than I had expected (or Im just not good at finding them!) I obviously don't want a sick or bad bird (which seems to be a lot of craigslist) But Im not looking to show either....

I won't be ready (DHs making me wait that is) untill spring... But Im wondering if I wait until spring, if I will be able to find one?! Do chicken breeders have waiting lists? (I know bulldogs often do!)

Like I said, Im sure this is a very silly question... But I don't want to miss out on my chance to join the silkie bandwagon [​IMG]

Thanks for the insight [​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I know a good silkie breeder here in WA, and has some very nice birds.

She is on this forum and is known as ultasol.

There are a few people in this area that I would stay away from.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Depends on what you want... chicks, eggs, adults, teens. If you want any old hatchery type silkie, you can get eggs year round or maybe even from the hatchery direct in a larger order. If you want some particular show line in x color, you can be on a list of who knows how long, but be ready to pay $$$$.

4. mrs918

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    pips&peeps :

I know a good silkie breeder here in WA, and has some very nice birds.

She is on this forum and is known as ultasol.

There are a few people in this area that I would stay away from.

Thank you... I'll save that name so I can get in contact​

5. mrs918

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    Quote:Thanks- Im not looking for something show quality... as for age, thats not that important either, I just have to have a pullet as Im in the city

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We called around and found a farm store that sells several different breeds at a time all year round. Maybe you can find something similar. The farm store orders from hatcheries. We've been very happy with what we have.

7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Silkies are one of the breeds where the difference between hatchery birds and breeder birds is monumental. If you want a bird that looks like the photos you are seeing on the internet, buy a bird from a breeder.

I know a lot of people are happy with their hatchery silkies, but they don't have nearly the fluff that the breeder birds do.

8. mrs918

Jan 14, 2011
    spokane,wa
    Thanks for the advice! I plan on going through a breeder...partly for quality and partly because i'll need to get a older bird so I know its not a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by