When to force hatch coturnix quail

gsagona91

In the Brooder
Sep 2, 2022
I’m on day 19 of incubation and can hear the quails chirping when I candled them today. I’m too new at this to notice any internal pipping. At what point does one need to force hatch coturnix quail eggs? Thanks!

I’m on day 19 of incubation and can hear the quails chirping when I candled them today. I’m too new at this to notice any internal pipping. At what point does one need to force hatch coturnix quail eggs? Thanks!
Hi, I've done a lot of assisted hatching now & I would not recommend it in quail, as I've not had good luck trying it. The smaller eggs are just so much more fragile than chicken eggs & the tiny chicks are more fragile too. If you can hear them that's a great sign. I would just be patient & make sure your humidity is good. I've found that putting a moist paper towel in the incubator right when they're due to hatch seems to help to get them jump-started by boosting humidity right at that time. Once they start hatching, they should all start popping out like popcorn; (I noticed that was a lot different than chicks, where some hatch quick & others take hours longer).
I've had some quail eggs go 21-22 days & I admit I start to get impatient & worried then; so if they go over 21, I'll poke a tiny air hole in the air cell area. That sometimes seems to help them get going w/pipping, as it weakens the shell, making it easier to pip. You have to be very careful not to crush the little eggs tho & I wouldn't poke an air hole any sooner, as it could dry out the membrane & that can cause shrink wrapping.

Back
Top Bottom