When to give treats to baby chicks?

Sunne73

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 27, 2011
I am sure this has been covered before but when can I start giving my chicks treats and what is good to start with? I have 4 week old silkies and 1 day old sussex's. Thanks for any advice.

Now keep this in mind treats are not always appreciated not because they do not like them but bc they are not sure what it is and have not developed a taste for it yet so you could try hard boiled or scrambled eggs. Rice Spaghetti, watermelon, pumpkin, cantaloupe, grapes cut in half yogurt, oatmeal uncooked, raisins, baby leaf lettuce, broccolli, all kinds of veggies like corn on the cob or canned corn ect... and I am sure others will chime in here. Good luck

at 2 weeks I tried boiled egg and yogurt, no one liked it, I gave them sprouts and they LOVE them! I also have given them dried meal worms, they dont go as crazy as they do with the sprouts.

I think you have to be sure you give them grit if you offer anything other than feed/boiled egg or yogurt.

Even tiny chicks will go after small bugs!
big_smile.png

Your silkies are certainly old enough for treats of any type. Be sure and give them some kind of grit, like sand at that age, if you intend to give something other than soft treats like pumpkin or yogurt.

I'd wait till the sussexs' are about two weeks old before offering treats.

Back
Top Bottom