When to give up (non-laying hen?)

Alohacayo

Songster
May 1, 2021
Southern California, Inland Empire
Tl;dr 11/12 mo old polish hen, paces and whines almost constantly, no eggs, no crow… possible roo? Possible congenital issue (based off feathers, behavior)?

Background:
(4) hens
•the welsummer mouth-of-the-west, clockwork egg laying, 6/wk, we have a system now (lol, ie, she’s still a mouth but we are managing to get along). 12mo old. Dark brown egg. 60-70g each.
•cream legbar, also clockwork egg laying, 6/wk, super sweet little escape artist. Also 12mo old. Mint green egg. 60-65g each.
•gold laced polish, been laying since 6-7mo old, 4-5 eggs per 7days. She’s 10mo old. White egg, 50-55g each.

The silver laced polish is the weird one. She’s 11+mo old. Has never laid an egg. She’s been parking herself in the nest box since December, she paces A LOT. Kind of a loner, but doesn’t bother anyone else & no one bothers her. She’s the same size as the gold laced.

How do I know she isn’t laying? Well, I’m outside, within eyesight of the nest, all day, everyday, and Carla the mouth tells me the literal moment someone drops an egg. Also, I have a camera pointed at the nest, so I know who’s in, who is out, and if Carla happens to miss an announcement, I can literally roll the tape.

Zero eggs from Ethel.

No crowing, no breeding behavior, Ethel DOES occasionally harass the other 3, usually by trying to sit ON them when they are in the nest, occasional sideswipe on the heads of the others if they are near something she wants.

Ethel is also vocal. She does what google says is a “gakel”. Basically she whines all day. And paces. She always seems to be looking for something.

I thought it was maybe a sight issue, so I trimmed her head feathers around her eyes; no change.

Thought it might be a food issue, but as far as I can tell, nope. She comes running just like everyone else, is always right in the middle of getting food (free choice 20% pellet, a hung cabbage, a flake of alfalfa, miscellaneous greens, miscellaneous leftovers, free access to a compost pile where 🤷‍♀️ what they find). Fully enclosed run (approx 300sqft total), the night run is 8-10” deep wood mulch, and their other section is a “Chunnel” 4’w x 40’L x 3’h with garden on both sides, plants/vines over the top.

So, she eats fine, mostly acts like a hen, isn’t picked on, doesn’t crow, doesn’t lay eggs, mostly doesn’t harass anyone else, digs holes (just like the other 3)… but she paces 75% of her day, and whines about that same amount-not always at the same time, whining/pacing is linked, but a fair amount is one or the other.

She also doesn’t roost most nights. She sleeps under the roost. 4 chickens, 6’ of roost, all same height. I’ve got a camera there also, and there is no bullying. She just plops herself down and stays there.

Pictures below. Based on the wisdom here, polish hens have the rounded feathers, and more of a globe shape. The gold fits that to a tee.

The silver on the other hand has had a bad hair day since she got feathers. Headdress is also 50/50 round feathers, but definitely pointy ones in front. And her hackle area is also pointy feathered, but not any more length than the gold hen.

Questions are:
-wait how much longer for an egg?
-is it possible she is a he?
-any tips for her “anxiety”?

If it wasn’t that she’s always whining/pacing, she could stay, but I got chickens for the entertainment for my elders and Ethel is causing *them* distress. We’ve been dealing with her pacing/whining since December (same time she started nest exploration). Normal chicken noises are fine. This is not that.

Attachments

• 157263BC-FCA9-4CA5-834D-7635EF57FEDC.jpeg
    157263BC-FCA9-4CA5-834D-7635EF57FEDC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 45
Do you have a more recent photo?
Polish aren't known for laying.
Lol, except for the baby picture, the others in that collage is from December. I’ll get some in the morning.

I’m technically okay with the no eggs part. Unless she’s a rooster, if she starts crowing, that’s an immediate out of here, bc the HOA would lay an egg over that. We are getting 14-16/wk with the 3 that are laying. Plenty of eggs. (Eggs aren’t the main reason of having them, they are mainly entertaining my grandma, mom, 2 uncles; all in their 70’s-late 90’s, and they watch them via the cameras or come over & putter around.)

I’m concerned with her constant pacing and vocalizing. It matches what researchers call a ‘gakel’ that they’ve surmised means that a hen is very unhappy. And she is unhappy. The other 3 just go about doing hen things, Ethel paces/whines.

I forgot to mention that she has been squatting since December before the gold even started squatting/laying.

Health wise, she appears very healthy, good weight, clean feathers, can fly, run, poops are normal/same as everyone else’s.

If it’s not one, it’s the other, 😂

Little update on Carla-the-mouth, she and I have a routine. When she’s ready to lay an egg, she’ll start up her dying human noises. I go get her, put her in chicken jail ie her private condo in the garage. Within about an hour, she’ll lay her egg, and I then put her back outside. It’s a total PITA, but it keeps her volume level to “normal” chicken, so we are good. 🤷‍♀️

Are you a nurse? You set your post up almost like we do our notes lol. I have no advice for you. Im sorry. Just impressed by your post. 😅😬

Back
Top Bottom