When to install the nesting box?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickbotfamily, Oct 2, 2009.

1. chickbotfamily

chickbotfamily Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2009
    My 2 chickens are 13 weeks old and are loving the new coop. When should I install the nesting box?

2. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Mine are 16 weeks and I just put some in. They climb around on them and occasionally poop in one or two. I put 2 on floor and 12 equal height to roosts, which are on opposite wall. Am going to put golf balls in several. I dont expect to see eggs before end of Nov. Since my boxes are only 12" X 12' I will have to have around 20 for the 24 birds I have. I doubt they would share a 12x12. Will end up with half on floor opposite roost wall, and half up at equal ht of roost. Suspect I need a walkboard to that bunch because I suspect chickens do not feel much like jumping up to a box when they are carrying an egg.

3. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    Long before you "NEED" them. My hes caught me off guard and started laying on the floor.......

4. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    gsim: I doubt you need nearly that many. I think the rule is about 1 per 3 or 4 birds. I had 5 eggs in one 12"x12" nest yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by