When to integrate 2. Week old chicks with 7 week old chicks?

The chicks are feathering out now and getting too big for the brooder! I'm thinking of turning the brooder light off at night to prepare them. It's around 75 degrees inside. It's really hot outside here noe- 90 days and 75/78 nights.
I'm really nervous and keeping them in the brooder for one more week.

They shouldn't need the heat lamp or any light at night after three weeks if they are inside. I like to move them near a window after three weeks so they can get up with the sun and go down with the sun- like the big girls do. However, I have never found a doable home for them during their 3-5 weeks age. Too big for the brooder and too small for the coop. Big cardboard boxes are handy because you can poke a stick through and get them thinking about roosting at night, but then you have a giant box in your living room that will inevitably get soggy and stinky reeeeal quick.
barnie.gif

P.s. too bad you can't construct a separate secure place for them outside- if I had your weather I'd throw'em outside as soon as I brought them home!
yippiechickie.gif

I know- our weather is perfect but I have no room for another coop- residential backyard-so I'm waiting as long as possible and then just praying for the best! DH is ready to put them out now- I want to try to wait two more weeks.

Have you ever delt with this- I turned off the brooder light last night to get the chicks used to it - they chirped LOUD like it was the world comming to an end! I actually had to turn it back on and they stopped! I tried it again during the day and same thing! Are they addicted to the light?! :/

Yep mine are 5 weeks and they do that. I dont have a light on them anymore but there is a lamp right next to the cage and when I shut that off at night the chicks scream. They settle down after a few mins and all is well. I just leave them be till they calm down. I do leave other lights on in the room but none that are close to the cage

Last edited:
Oh yes. I've found they adjust much better to the dark if it gradually gets dark in the evening- putting them by a window is very handy for this reason. We rarely have the lights in the house blazing after the sun goes down, but if needed, I have put a light sheet over their box so they quiet down and aren't in total darkness all at once when the lights go out. This is better for Everyone in the house. They will get braver as they age.
cool.png

My DH and I have decided next weekend is moving to the big coop day. The chicks will be 4 weeks old and mostly feathered. My other two pullets will be 9 weeks old and are allready like mini chickens.
The brooder is just too small for the chicks now. I'm really nervous. I'm praying they don't hurt he chicks, but in my coop I have no way of separating them. I really have no way of putting a box in there either. So it's going to be a nerve wracking time of waiting and hoping they all learn to get along without too much trouble!
The nesting area is certainly big enough for all 4 with a run attached.
If this doesn't work I'll just keep my original two and rehome the chicks.
I plan on integrating them at night. I've read on here that's the best way. Allthough I won't be able to supervise until the next morning .

Tonight's the night! Moving the almost fully feathered 2 pullets to the big coop! I'm soo nervous. Plan on doing this at about 10:00 pm. Praying they don't get hurt!!
They are just going crazy in the brooder. They HAVE to go in tonight!

Well they are all successfully integrated!! Walking around together and even sharing treats! The older two are sort of bossy but never fought the little ones! Putting them in the coop at night and setting up two feed/water ares helped the most I think. I'm VERY happy! :)

Back
Top Bottom