when to intervien? OMG almost lost him! Had to step in!!

Pip is hole in the egg, through the membrane, for oxygen. Zip is when they start to extent that pip into a line, through the shell and membrane, around the crown of the egg.

It's fun watching them hatch, isn't it?! I love it.

Quote:
I had one wait 36 hours before zipping in all of 10 seconds and popping out running!
big_smile.png

well, i almost lost this one! It 's membrane started to drie up and stick to the chick! It's breathing went almost completly silent. I had to step in, i must add i do not like to EVER help(natures course, only the strong survive) but something told be i needed to! It is just moving around and drying off right now. Pooped almost right after it hatched. My husband agreed it had to be done!

"EDITED TO UPDATE: so i have been watching the breathing on this little bugger. It went down hill and i had to step in!!! i gently cracked the shell, not hitting the membrane. I was hoping once it was all the way around, it would push it's self out! Then i noticed the membrane was dried up. So i gently helped it out after wetting membrane. Got really jelly like and slimmed off. It pooped right after it was hatched! Poor thing had it's eye open already and looked at me! I almost cried! I had the humidity to low, what was i thinking!! It's up in the 70% now and i pray the others are OK."

YEAH IF THEY PIP AND SIT TOO LONG THE INNER MEMBRANSE WILL "SHRINK WRAP" THEM TO DEATH--- ACTUALLY SHRINK TO THE POINT WHERE THE CHICK CANT BREATHE. ONCE THE SHELL IS PIPPED A TIME LIMIT HAS BEEN PLACED ON THIS BABY--- 1ST THE BABY DRIES UP AND THEN GETS GLUED INTO THE EGG AND CANT ZIP. THEN THE MEMBRANE STARTS TO SHRINK. IF NOT ASSISTED (RIGHT OR WRONG IS A WHOLE OTHER TOPIC...) THE CHICK WILL DIE EVENTUALLY.

GLAD YOU CAUGHT IT IN TIME
smile.png
I TRY REAL HARD NOT TO HELP BUT IF I DECIDE I AM GOING TO HAVE TO HELP THEN I USUALLY GIVE IT 12-14 HRS TO DO IT ON THEIR OWN, AND IF THEY ARENT OUT THEN I'M COMIN IN!!! THE FLIP SIDE IS THAT IF YOU INTERVENE TOO EARLY THEN THEY HAVENT ABSORBED THE YOLK AND THE BLOOD FROM THE VEINS IN THE INNER MEMBRANE--- THESE ARE THE ONES THAT DONT DO SO WELL...

Last edited:
Quote:
yeah, i am glad i stepped in! here is the link to the feet problem. Fixing that with splints!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=251431

When i saw the breathing rythyms change i KNEW i had to do something. I even gave it chance to push but the one side was shrink wrapped. I am having real problems with the humidity this batch. it will not stay steady! Freaking me out at low 60 again. went as high as 90.....
he.gif

Back
Top Bottom