When to introduce oyster shell?

:barniethe idea still has not settled with me... perhaps since I've cut myself just trying to break up the sharp bits. What if it cuts the throat or crop before it gets to the gizzard? Yes, the birds are tough and might not let us notice but then later have problems not directly associated with internal injuries of that sort but which are related, such as anemia or infection or lethargy and failure to thrive...
Are you sure? And consider non oyster shell sources one can easily get free... eggshells clams mussels and other seashells ...
:confused:

Eggshells, other sources are fine. I feed a flock raiser as it's higher protein and I have a mixed flock-some laying, some not quite old enough. I just feed flock raiser and always have a bowl of oyster shell in the run for them. I've noticed the two not yet laying are munching a little bit of it, so they should start laying in a week or two. They don't even look at the oyster shell til they need it I've noticed. If they free range and get enough calcium foraging, they won't "overdose" by having access to oyster shell or dried & crushed eggshells.They somehow know what they need to eat-much like foals who eat mom's fresh manure because they need the probiotics and immune response it provided (yucky I know!)

why are you crushing the oyster shells ??
just dump a pan full and set it in a dry protected place where the chickens can get to it if they want ..
you are over thinking the issue.
people have been feeding oyster shells for more years than the two of us combined..
If it bothers you that much, just don't feed them the shells.
in fact don't feed them any calcium supplement at all. with the layer feeds we have these days, they probably don't need it.
if in the future you are getting soft shelled eggs, then find a calcium supplement other than O . shell.
maybe something soft, like milk ..

You don't have to worry about them getting cut on oyster shells, they flake apart easily.

And if you've ever looked at grit for chickens, the good stuff is far harder than an oyster shell and has points and edges. Once it gets used up by the chicken, it's reduced to nothing but tiny, smooth pebbles.

:idunno Made to sell ever hear that . If the feed is well balanced which most are with plenty of calcium already mixed in . If the chickens are allowed on dirt doesn't have to be free range . Just able to get to dirt or sand . Then oyster shells are just wasting money . On the other hand. If they are laying soft or no shelled eggs and are fed mostly whole or cracked grains they need to be supplemented with calcium . Any type of calcium will do .Oyster shells are the most readily available. I never feed oyster shells until I see the need . The feed I use has plenty of calcium already in it . With todays feeds grit is really more important than oyster shells. This is what I think and do . Doesn't make it right . It's just what I do .

the idea still has not settled with me... perhaps since I've cut myself just trying to break up the sharp bits. What if it cuts the throat or crop before it gets to the gizzard? Yes, the birds are tough and might not let us notice but then later have problems not directly associated with internal injuries of that sort but which are related, such as anemia or infection or lethargy and failure to thrive...
Are you sure? And consider non oyster shell sources one can easily get free... eggshells clams mussels and other seashells ...
If you are breaking up whole shells yourself then maybe be concerned about sharpness, but the OS you buy processed for poultry does not have sharp edges.

I provide both OS(mixed with crushed egg shells) and granite grit in separate containers attached to the wall of coop (see below).

The layers will eat the OS as needed(I feed all flock).
New pullets nearing point of lay will follow the example of older birds.
With new pullets separated from older birds I sprinkle a bit on top of feed each day until they get the idea.

Chicks get appropriate sized grit at week one, as it helps grow a good gizzard.
http://www.jupefeeds-sa.com/documents/GraniteGrit.pdf.

here's what I think.
the O P is a troll.
no matter what solution we offer, he/she counters with another problem..
I am not going to play this game any longer.
been to too many games like this over the years

.........jiminwisc......

here's what I think.
the O P is a troll.
no matter what solution we offer, he/she counters with another problem..
I am not going to play this game any longer.
been to too many games like this over the years

.........jiminwisc......
To be fair to the OP (Eryniel), I think that she only came back once to thank everyone politely for their help.

Back
Top Bottom