When to let ducklings free-range.

ohiofarmboy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 28, 2012
south west ohio
I have four 6-week old pekins and 8 chicks the same age. The ducks are making a huge mess in the coop so I want to move the ducks out to the pond A.S.A.P. They would be considered free-ranging but most of the time I think they will stay on the pond. I am wondering if they are old enough and if they will be safe. I am sure they will stick together though. I also want to free-range the chicks. Should I introduce them to free-ranging at the same time or does it matter?

I have four 6-week old pekins and 8 chicks the same age. The ducks are making a huge mess in the coop so I want to move the ducks out to the pond A.S.A.P. They would be considered free-ranging but most of the time I think they will stay on the pond. I am wondering if they are old enough and if they will be safe. I am sure they will stick together though. I also want to free-range the chicks. Should I introduce them to free-ranging at the same time or does it matter?
If you put 6 week old ducks on your pond and think they will stay there your going to be disappointed when you go out and find them all gone or pieces remaining, Ducks the same as chickens need a secure place to sleep at night, even if they slept on the water in the middle of the pond preds can swim, snapping turtles can come up from underneath, they will be supper before you can bat an eye. You need a plan, but putting your ducks out side with out protection is just leaving them sitting ducks and thats no pun.

I have a lake behind my house. I raise ducks , i hatch them every year. Pekins and several other kinds. I put them to free roam when they're about 8 weeks old..or fully feathered. It's true that predators can get them, but i've had the same number out there for 3 years..snapping turtles and hawks generally get them when they're small ducklings..I have lost a couple ducks..but it's from Dogs of the neighbors and not racoons or other predators. They do stick around..they run up when they see my car they run up to the yard. They come right up to me. They have a coop that they can sleep in if they choose at night, some choose to stay there, some don't. The ducks sleep out in the water away from shore. So the answer is..they can go out at around 8 weeks. (6 weeks if they're fully feathered and they'll be fine) I feel ya with the messy pen..i love my ducks, but man by the time they're a month or two old I'm SO GLAD to not have to have the pen so much!!

Would it be ok if I let them go into the coop at night? If so how do I get them to go in at night? I couldn't just leave the door open all night because that would be pointless. Do I need to add a chicken door to the coop?

if you put their food only in the coop and they grew up in there..mine just go in on their own at night. i shut the door after they go in there. Give them treats only in the coop and they'll associate it with something good.

Back
Top Bottom