When to let them out of their run?

o0Zilla0o

Songster
May 13, 2018
Denmark
Do not know if I have put the thread correctly :rolleyes: If not, I'm sorry.

However, as a newbie of future free-range chickens (have only had them in chicken pen before) so there are many new questions... :)

I got my beautiful chickens on Sunday and I have pt. them to go in a closed pen. And had thought that about 30 days they should go there until, I was sure they fell well and know where they live etc. But my question is now, can I let them out before? Or should I wait more than the 30 days?

The bunch of chiks I have now is not tame, It was also something I thought I would work more on before they were going loose. But they can also make tame by walking freely ore?, they love canned corn, we give them a little handful, the daughter and I to win their trust.

Another thing worth knowing?
there are so many in here that have lots of tips and knowledge. :bow:old

When you go in the run you need to be down on their level to gain trust. So sitting on the ground and letting them come to you and no reaching for them. Some of their food in your hand can help. Sounds like 4 week old chicks? If so sitting still and letting them hop on your legs and head can be fun. Oh wear some old clothes and shoes lol.

My neighbor lets her chicks free range with their mothers and they even visit me from time to time through the woods so every situation is different.

JT

Since your going to free range, I would suggest getting some scratch grains, if you can. Put some in a container, so when you shake it, it makes noise. Throw some to them, they will associate that with getting a treat. Now when they're free ranging and you need them back to the coop, shake the container, they should come running back for their treat, as long as they can hear it.

Yep they moved in on Sunday, so they have been here for 3 days. And i will remember the thing whit the 'treat'. They were just so shy at first that they would not touch it, so I went over to the cancorn. But now that they dare come near me, I will just start feeding with their own feed.

I usually knock the can, just to make one well-known sound for them - and I always sit down to the ground in order to just get down to their height and not look 'Big and dangerous!' in their eyes.

Thank for the many good advice, I'm just looking forward to giving them all the space and green we can offer them.

2.png

not so when you have such a nice place for those, where they can find so much delicious food. We have fruit groves, close vegetation. And all the brown around the house is our fields, so there are plenty of places for them.

Since your going to free range, I would suggest getting some scratch grains, if you can. Put some in a container, so when you shake it, it makes noise. Throw some to them, they will associate that with getting a treat. Now when they're free ranging and you need them back to the coop, shake the container, they should come running back for their treat, as long as they can hear it.

scratch grains i have, thanks for the tip.
I did not think of that LOL, so that's how I'm doing today, and beyond. :thumbsup

When you go in the run you need to be down on their level to gain trust. So sitting on the ground and letting them come to you and no reaching for them. Some of their food in your hand can help. Sounds like 4 week old chicks? If so sitting still and letting them hop on your legs and head can be fun. Oh wear some old clothes and shoes lol.

My neighbor lets her chicks free range with their mothers and they even visit me from time to time through the woods so every situation is different.

JT

Nope, they are older, do not know the exact age but 2-3 months and up.
høns.jpg

Unfortunately, the seller did not spend much time on them, and they just went to bed in a barn where there pen was (they do not come out), so they also had to learn to go to bed inside the chicken house. And not just sleep on the ground in the pen. They learned that already after day 2, now they go well into the house at night.

On Friday I get a beautiful orpington pullet, she is 4 months - and from a register breeder (she has a ring on the leg) hoping she can guide the slightly confused other hens.

I would probably wait a couple of weeks at least. Mine are 7 weeks old as of today and confined to their run at the moment. They have been out there for close to 3 weeks now. They put themselves to bed in the house when it's getting dark, but I'm going to wait until they are 10-12 weeks to start letting them out of the run about an hour before dark and gradually increase the time as I see they are going back in on their own.

I pulled a metal yard bench into the run and sit with them in the morning and evening. My daughter goes out periodically during the day as well. The few that were most scared of me now jump up on our laps on their own.

Back
Top Bottom