When to let them out?????

casey197530

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2015
Christmas,Florida
I have a Silkie (Butters) that hatched and egg on Dec 31st (little Eve is either a Cohan or a frizzle she is 5 weeks old now). Momma and baby have been going out in the playpen everyday now since the baby was a week old. My silkie is starting to act like she really wants to be out with the other chickens and I feel bad for her. (except she gets to sleep inside every night) We tried letting the baby and mom go out with the other chickens a couple of weeks ago and the baby was attacked by one of our bantams.(She was tiny and is now about half the size of Butters.) Mom kicked butt, but I am worried that if I let them out now she will not be as inclined to protect Eve anymore. So my question is should I let Butters go out with the other chickens and keep the little one separated or should I continue to keep mamma and baby together for a little while longer or should I let them both out and just keep watch. I do not want to lose my little Eve as she was my first baby born here. Any help would be great. Thanks a million

Back
Top Bottom