1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

When to let them out?????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by casey197530, Feb 8, 2015.

1. casey197530

casey197530 In the Brooder

Jan 27, 2015
    Christmas,Florida
    I have a Silkie (Butters) that hatched and egg on Dec 31st (little Eve is either a Cohan or a frizzle she is 5 weeks old now). Momma and baby have been going out in the playpen everyday now since the baby was a week old. My silkie is starting to act like she really wants to be out with the other chickens and I feel bad for her. (except she gets to sleep inside every night) We tried letting the baby and mom go out with the other chickens a couple of weeks ago and the baby was attacked by one of our bantams.(She was tiny and is now about half the size of Butters.) Mom kicked butt, but I am worried that if I let them out now she will not be as inclined to protect Eve anymore. So my question is should I let Butters go out with the other chickens and keep the little one separated or should I continue to keep mamma and baby together for a little while longer or should I let them both out and just keep watch. I do not want to lose my little Eve as she was my first baby born here. Any help would be great. Thanks a million

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Crowing

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: