When To Limit Feed

WoodsmanA

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2016
Hi All,

Quick question - My six Rouens will be 5 weeks old next Monday. They are getting large! I had them on starter crumbles for their first two and half weeks then gradually did the switch over to grower pellets. I fill their little trough with feed every morning and top it off again once more in the afternoon. The trough of food is left in the 4 x 4 foot wood bin where I have them currently at all hours of the day. At what age should I start limiting their food intake? They are all happy and healthy and look great. Feathers are coming in nicely.

It's been a bit rough on the homestead lately. Had to have a new well drilled. Been living out of 5 gallon buckets of water for two weeks. That gets old really quickly when raising ducks... The drilling crew finally hit water at 565 feet down on Tuesday. Pumps and all got hooked up yesterday. Finally we have water again. But the project pushed back my work on the predator fencing for the ducks so they're still inside. Had to cut down a few trees, take out the fence I had already nearly completed and move the duck house to a new location so the drilling rig could get into the only spot that had potential for water... Of course it was right where everything was being built. Anyways, I can't wait to put them outside and not have to clean their bin every morning!

Thanks.

I don't ever limit the food intake, I always offer their feed. A duck won't over eat like humans do. Others may do it a different way, just my .02 cents. Hope it helps.

I was told by the breeder I bought my Ducklings from that after 8 weeks old you can with hold food and water at night, but to have a constant free choice of water and food during the day.
Mine are only 4 weeks old so I haven't tried that practise yet.

Hope my information helped?

I was curious to know at what age it was appropriate to start cutting back their food and water at night. I don't plan for them to have access to food and water in their coop at night. Should I gradually bring them to that point?

Last edited:
I was curious to know at what age it was appropriate to start cutting back their food and water at night. I don't plan for them to have access to food and water in their coop at night. Should I gradually bring them to that point?
I would do it gradually.
I was going to start cutting back my ducklings feed at two weeks like Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks says, but decided to wait a little longer. I think you can start then, though.

Back
Top Bottom