When to mix adult and adolescent flocks.

Mayfiel511

Songster
5 Years
Feb 19, 2019
New Jersey
Hi all, I have adult pekins and Appleyards(2 drakes and 3 ducks) and 15 adolescents/young adults (17weeks old, 9 girls and 6 boys ). The younger ones are displaying lots of mating behavior, including the ladies some of whom squat down for the boys without always even being asked. I have the 2 flocks separated at the moment by another pen and 2 electric fences (which the adult pekin drake made his way through at least once). Cam I safely mix the the 2 flocks safely since they are coming into maturity? I have more ladies for the boys coming up but they are only 7 and 9 weeks and are kept separately for now. I'm happy to have so many ducks but next time won't make the age range mistakes. I mistakenly thought size equality was enough like chickens but hindsight is 20/20. :/

have them in a pen where they can see but not touch each other for a week, then start by mixing all the girls together. after the girls are all friends, you can add in one group of drakes. after those drakes are introduced, add the other set of drakes.

have them in a pen where they can see but not touch each other for a week, then start by mixing all the girls together. after the girls are all friends, you can add in one group of drakes. after those drakes are introduced, add the other set of drakes.
Thanks, they have been penned next to one another for aboute a month and alternate free ranging where they can closer/across the fence. I love the idea of mixing all the girls first and easing the boys in with them, Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom