When to mix Groups?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Cats Critters, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to combine my now 6 week old chicks with my adult flock, in the next four weeks. I want to combine them before we go on vacation/go to my brother's graduation from army boot camp. So at ten weeks (or sooner) will they be able to combine with adult flock?

2. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Songster

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Probably. Although some here would tell you no way. I have ten weeks olds in with my adult flock now. Build a pen inside the run of your adult flock and put the younguns in there. Keep em there for a week or two, let the adults and them get used to being near each other (seperated by wire), then make a opening in your small makeshift chick pen so they can go out into the adult run. Do this on a day when your home to keep an eye on them. Keep an eye on em for a couple days. If your adult flock isnt terribly mean, this should work out fine this way.

3. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Currently their living in a cage in the coop and have the run while the adults free-range. So far no one is being mean, even when one of the chicks got loss when I was holding it and the adults just ignored him. So their doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: