When to mix Groups?

Cats Critters

Completely Indecisive
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Clarion County, PA
My Coop
My Coop
I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to be able to combine my now 6 week old chicks with my adult flock, in the next four weeks. I want to combine them before we go on vacation/go to my brother's graduation from army boot camp. So at ten weeks (or sooner) will they be able to combine with adult flock?

Probably. Although some here would tell you no way. I have ten weeks olds in with my adult flock now. Build a pen inside the run of your adult flock and put the younguns in there. Keep em there for a week or two, let the adults and them get used to being near each other (seperated by wire), then make a opening in your small makeshift chick pen so they can go out into the adult run. Do this on a day when your home to keep an eye on them. Keep an eye on em for a couple days. If your adult flock isnt terribly mean, this should work out fine this way.

Currently their living in a cage in the coop and have the run while the adults free-range. So far no one is being mean, even when one of the chicks got loss when I was holding it and the adults just ignored him. So their doing well.

Back
Top Bottom