When to move chicks from inside brooder to outside house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sunlitmoonlight, May 20, 2011.

1. sunlitmoonlight

sunlitmoonlight Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2010
    Ireland
    Hi all, I have 4x 4 week old bantams (2 silkies, 2 pekins). They currently live in a large brooder box (74cm x 116cm x 36cm which includes a seperate section for the heat lamp) inside our house (heat lamp at +/- 70 at night), and outside in their own little run (with shelter from wind and rain) during the day. When do you suggest I can move them outside into the main chicken house at night. I do have a section inside the house which is seperated by wire where I can put them into at night, until the rest of the flock have accepted them. I have 4 silkie hens and a pekin rooster. Thanks.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    Depends how cold it is at night and if they are fully feathered. Depending on temps 6 to 8 weeks old

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Quote:X2!

It all depends upon your climate. At 4 weeks it might be a little early. They usually are more fully feathered at 6-8 weeks, and considering they are silkies, I'd be extra careful. I know it varies a lot, but my "ideal" time to put new chickens outside is 6 weeks old, on a week where the max temperature is no more than 70-80 F, and the night time temperature is not under 45 F.

You could try them without the heat lamp for a night, and see how they do. I know with mine that if they can go two nights without a heatlamp in my basement, then they are ready to go outside.

Best of luck with them! You have a really nice setup--they'll do great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by