When to move chicks outside

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Ryan81986, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm sure this has been asked 1000 times before, and I know the general answer so I'll give you my situation.

We should be getting our baby chicks the first week of April. We were hoping to take a vacation around the end of May/Beginning of June. Our next door neighbor has had chickens for a long time and offered to take care of them while we are away. The coop is built and is ready to go for when they are, I was just wondering if the time frame for them being ready to go outside would work with when we are looking to go away. And if not, would it be extremely stressful to transfer the birds to a brooder setup that he has in one of his sheds?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    So, your birds will be 7+ weeks of age when you vacation and that vacation will be around the first of June, correct? Where are you located? What breed(s) are you planning to raise? Is the coop wired for electric or not? For most breeds, I would not hesitate to move 7+ week old birds into a coop. I moved our most recent flock out at 5 weeks - our coop is unheated/unwired - within a week of moving out we had a cold snap complete with snow storm and they were hail and hearty in their coop. As long as they are feathered out, they can keep themselves warm - especially with others to snuggle up with - it's the baby fuzz and/or the more fragile breeds of birds or birds that will only have a couple of pals that I would give a second thought to moving in a temperate climate in June at 7+ weeks old.

3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The chicks will be seven to eight weeks of age when you leave on vacation, but is June summer or winter where you live? That makes a big difference.

Let's assume it's going to be summery and they're two months old. They should be perfectly all right. However, you also do not say if they will be the only chickens in the coop and run. If they have adults to cope with, then it's not wise to put them out and then leave on vacation. They would require considerable supervision.

So, barring any adult chickens and it isn't winter where you are, they should be fine going out at 7 to 8 weeks.

4. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    I'm in Massachusetts so the low-high range in May is about 48-68, given that it will be towards the end of the month it will probably be closer to 55-70. There are no other birds that they will have to deal with.

5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Will they be cooped up while your neighbors are caring for them? If so, you shouldn't worry at all. They'll be just fine as long as they are fully feathered by then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by