When to move ducklings outside?

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
My ducklings will be 3 weeks old on Tuesday. I have them in a brooder box in the basement with a heat lamp (which has been raised way up). What temperature does it need to be outside for them to be ok? They haven't started getting their feathers yet.

Mine went outside at 2 weeks with a heat lamp (they never used it) and 25 degree temps. They did just fine! I think we baby them too much and forget they are wild animals. They will just huddle if they get hold, hec, they do that all the time anyway!

25 degree temps and I'm worried about 50-60?
he.gif
Guess where they're going this weekend?!!!!
ya.gif
Thank you so much!

Mine will be in a chain link dog pen with a wooden box for a shelter. I can't put a heat lamp out there which is why I was hesitating. The temps here have been in the 40's-50's at night, and anywhere from 50-85 during the day (in Ohio, it just depends on the day LOL.) There are 5 of them so I think they should be ok. They are getting cramped in their brooder box and I'm getting tired of the soppy wet mess.

I have four ducks that are four weeks old. They have been outside for two nights now. Temps were40-45. I also have a dog box and they were in there sleepng when I checked. No heat lamp. I put shavings in the dog box and hay on top of that.

Yes I was worried the first night but they are doing fine. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom