When to move from brooder to coop?

lxlzbaca

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 31, 2010
New Mexico
Our chicks are almost 5 weeks old. My DH plans on finishing the coop this weekend and the temps will be in the 70s and 80s for the next several weeks. We still have the heat lamp in the brooder, but they stay on the opposite side. When do we move them and what would you say is the best way to go about moving them? They will have a 4x8 foot area with the house inside. Our brooder is 2 large boxes. I was thinking about opening up one side and putting it inside the run for a few days so they can venture out as they please.

Last edited:
At 5 weeks your chicks no longer need heat, they've feathered out enough. They are ready for the coop anytime. Some wait 4 weeks, some only 3.

I moved all my girls out at 3.5 weeks when they were fully feathered (except their heads), they are now 5.5 and do great. The other night it got down to freezing and they were totally fine and warm. Checked on them twice, no heat lamps outside either.

I'd put them out, but personally wouldn't add the lamp, I don't think its necessary for those temps.

Sounds to me like they're ready to go - you shouldn't have any problem. I kicked mine out of the kitchen while it was still in the low 50's at night - they did fine, even with the crazy rains the following week!

Yay! That will be our Sunday project. I like having them in the living room, but I want to have that space back..

I too am ready to get these adorable but dirty birds out of my house! This is my first bunch in many many years. They are almost 5 weeks old. They are in a labrador size kennel and I let them out (on tarps etc.) every day. We hope the coop will be done by this weekend but the temps are in the 40's during the day and colder at night. Will the 5 of them be ok with a heat lamp in the coop. I stopped using it a few days ago indoors.I would definitly cozy up the coop with a lot of hay.

OMG, Liz, did you follow me over here from DS?! LOL
lol.png
Glad to see you here!

Fred's Hens :

Quote:
You could provide a heat lamp, if you are concerned. It wouldn't have to be a very super high wattage bulb. Just enough for them to take the chill off if it falls to 20's a night. By week 7, there is no need, no matter the temp. But, spring is coming, right?

Is that true for all breeds? By 7 weeks they can go out with no heat lamp no matter what the temp? Sheesh! Our babies last year were SPPPPPPOILED! New chicks this year, trying to remember all the do's and don'ts!​

Quote:
You could provide a heat lamp, if you are concerned. It wouldn't have to be a very super high wattage bulb. Just enough for them to take the chill off if it falls to 20's a night. By week 7, there is no need, no matter the temp. But, spring is coming, right?

Is that true for all breeds? By 7 weeks they can go out with no heat lamp no matter what the temp? Sheesh! Our babies last year were SPPPPPPOILED! New chicks this year, trying to remember all the do's and don'ts!

Heather!!!!! I saw your screen name and thought to myself, is it her??? Lmbo

I'm so glad to read this discussion! We're first time parents to 4 chicks. They're just one week old. So, they can go out at 4 weeks? That means I have 3 weeks to get the coop together. Better get cracking!

(and HI to the other DS mamas in here)
big_smile.png
I was just wondering if there were any on here, as I've seen a few chicken threads over there. Woohoo!

Back
Top Bottom