When to move hens to the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jennic, Jun 19, 2008.

1. jennic

jennic Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2008
    indiana
    I'm new to raising chickens, my husband and i got the coop all ready and we have 2 roos and 1 hen in there now, they are about 10 weeks old. I have 25 pullets that will be 5 weeks old on the 22nd, are they old enough to put in the coop with the bigger ones? (the coop is really secure) i let the older ones roam free during the day, can i let the younger ones roam also? and if i do will they come back to the coop? Thank you so much for all of your help. I would like to move them out of the garage soon!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i would make sure they are all fully feathered, and are big enough to fend for themselves. and when you first put them in the cage with the elder chickens watch them closely to make sure there is no fighting going on. they may peck at each other for a little while but they are trying to figure out the pecking order. and there is no garaunty that they will come back to the coop if i were you i would let them all get use to the elder chickens and let them stay together in a pin or under someone watching them and put them up at night untill you are sure they can fend for themselves.
    I sure hope this helpes!

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Also, if you can have a seperate pen for them for a little while, maybe a few days to a week, that helps. The bigger ones can get to know the little ones first, and they are less likely to chase or attack them (the smallest ones and new stuff to the coop are always picked on). I have a portable dog kennel we use.

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

I had to move mine to the coop at 2 weeks when they outgrew the brooder. The coop is insulated, secure and has a brooder lamp which I needed only one night. They're six weeks now and in lovely shape. Mind you, the coop had no other birds in it. It was new ground.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by