When to move my broody?

Chirpy

Balderdash
15 Years
May 24, 2007
Colorado
I want to move my new broody hen from the nest box she's claimed to a rabbit hutch that is inside the chicken run so that when/if she has a successful hatch the chicks will be safe from the other chickens. (The rabbit hutch is empty - hasn't had a rabbit it in for almost seven years.)

She's actually not even sitting on any eggs yet - they come in the mail either today or Monday. But, she's been sitting tight for a whole week now.

Should I move her when I get the eggs today/Monday or put them under her and then wait a few days or week or two before moving her and the fertile eggs to the rabbit hutch?

I so badly want her to hatch some babies....

Well I moved my broody tonight, she has been sitting for about 4 days. We made a nice broody house just for her with a little yard. So her babies will be safe. I ordered eggs also should be here in a few days. We waited till almost dark, (did not want to trip and fall in the pitch dark carring hen, flash light). I put a the whole nest she was in in the new little house so she had the same nest. My broody did not even move when we moved her she hung on tight. Good luck with yours.

I don't have a Rooster so the eggs she was sitting on were not fertile. I do want babies so I had fertile eggs sent to me so she can actually hatch them.

Back
Top Bottom