1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to move outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Heather94, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    When do you move your chicks outside? I know they aren't ready yet, but was wondering when. I have (2) 5/6 week old silkies & (3) 3 week old mutts & (5) 1.5 week old mutts. The silkies are getting their feathers in their heads now, & the 3 week old mutts are almost completely feathered up to their necks. They will be going into a predator proof 5x6x10 dog pen off to the side of my run (I normally use it to separate a hen and rooster if I want specific babies).

2. farmgirllvo

farmgirllvo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2016
    Depends on the weather. More specifically the tempature. They won't have a mamma hen to keep them warm. So I'd let them out in a few weeks and just see how they do and than when you think they are still able to stay warm enough in the coldest part of your day, leave them to be free. :)

3. Heather94

Heather94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2016
    Columbus Ga
    Ok cool. I'm in central Georgia so it doesn't get too cold here. We are in the 50s & high 40s at night right now. Maybe they will do good in a few weeks then :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by