When to Move to the Coop

Weatherfordmom27

Chirping
Dec 11, 2020
I need help! My australorp ladies(+ 1 cockerel) are 10 weeks old. When we bought them, the farmer was adamant about NOT moving them to the coop until 12 weeks old. After doing a "when to move to a coop" search here on this forum and reading replies, I'm wandering if we have done our girls a disservice by not acclimating them to the weather and they should already be outside. They are in a very large brooder in our garage, so space is not an issue. We are in N. TX and right now day temp averages are 40-50 and night temps are 30 to 35 with a couple cold snaps here and there. Coop outside stays about 5/10 degrees warmer. We weened them off their heat lamp a bit ago and do take them into the run most days. Are they ready to move? Thanks for any help!

Hi! You shouldn't beat yourself up about this, there is an easy fix! I think they sound ready to start getting ready to go into the coop. Do you have other chickens currently? You can start weaning them off the indoors by putting them into the coop with lots of bedding during the day and bringing them in at night. Make sure the coop is very predator proof! Good luck!

Hi! You shouldn't beat yourself up about this, there is an easy fix! I think they sound ready to start getting ready to go into the coop. Do you have other chickens currently? You can start weaning them off the indoors by putting them into the coop with lots of bedding during the day and bringing them in at night. Make sure the coop is very predator proof! Good luck!
Thanks for the response. No, this is our first flock.

They spend time in the run, then brooder at night. Once they are doing well all day in the run, and don’t look cold, then the are ready for full time outdoor/coop life. Your temps aren’t extreme, and maybe tonight is a good time to do so. Since it is a new home (the coop), you might just lock them in for a couple of days. If coop isn’t roomy enough for that, you might need to plan being out there to put them into the coop as it’s getting dark. Should only have to do that for a few nights. Usually, we find there is always 2-3 that linger and need to be caught ...out comes the large fishing net, and once caught they never want to be caught again, so it is a nice herding stick after that. Good luck.

Did that farmer tell you why to not move them out? It's interesting to get the context of these things.

I've had chicks 5-1/2 weeks old go through temperatures colder than that and you have been acclimating them by taking them out. Can yours go out today? Yes, depending a bit on your coop, decent ventilation and decent wind protection. It's hard to imagine a coop where they couldn't be outside in those temperatures. As far as the cold goes they could probably sleep in trees.

Have you done them a disservice by not moving them out? If they have plenty of room and are healthy where they are, not really. Just because they can go out doesn't mean they have to. The future of civilization will not be altered if they spend another week or two inside. If it is convenient to you they can go out but it's not like they are in your house.

This was helpful to me as well. My chicks still have some "fuzz" and are not yet full-feathered. My complete lack of chicken vocab will certainly out me as a completely new chicken person. I think mine are 6 weeks ish old.

They really don't have to be fully feathered to go outside. My broody has them outside by day 3.

They do need a fluffy nest on the floor that they can all huddle in. They won't roost right away.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom