when to order for NW Ohio

Briney Dave

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Fremont, Ohio
Greetings, about how soon should we order chicks ? We live in NW Ohio and it starts getting warm in Late April most years. This will be our first year with chickens and so I am uncertain as to when most folks order (I assume that it is based on when its warm enough to put the chicks out when they are of age)

We were thinking Buckeyes (being an Ohio family and all) plus reading about their easy going personality. Anyone suggest who would be good to go through to buy chicks too please

thanks in advance for your time
David

If you want an unusual breed/s order early (now) and simply schedule shipping for whenever you feel it will be warm enough to deal with the temperature requirements of chicks in your situation.

(You will get a lot of different opinions on where to order your birds. I will not weigh in on that, but other will.)

Quote:
HAH! Spend some time on BYC and you'll start seeing the multitudes of chick-crazed members who simply overcome the logistics of "when is best" by altering conditions in the house, the garage and/or coops. As one example, I picked up my chicks on October 1st, and even though I'm in California, mid-December was pretty danged cold for my chicks!

Thanks, if I can avoid it; I would rather not have the chicks spend an extended time in the garage. My wife is the only member of the team on the fence about this and if I were blocking her side of the garage (not going to give mine to the chickens) for too long then there may be troubles LOL

anyone have a lead on this rare breed for me???

Back
Top Bottom