1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

When to pick eggs out of nest box.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by monsterkx500, Aug 20, 2011.

1. monsterkx500

monsterkx500 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    How long can the eggs stay in the nest box before you pick them? Can they stay in the box for couple of hour?

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, they can stay in there a couple of hours. My hens start laying at 6:00 AM but I don't pick them until about 6:00 PM when I get back from work. Your eggs will be fine for the day.

3. monsterkx500

monsterkx500 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    ok Thank you

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Most only gather once, in the afternoon. Winter? Twice a day for me.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've left mine in the nest box for a few days before (I only have a few hens) - no problems [​IMG] I normally collect late afternoon though. If you get really cold winters, as Fred said - the more often you collect, the less chance you have of eggs freezing/cracking.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fred's Hens :

Most only gather once, in the afternoon. Winter? Twice a day for me.

X 2​

7. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We have to go out to the coop and check whenever we suspect someone has laid; we have an egg-eater and if we don't get them before she finds them we end up with "Sunday-go-to-meeting" eggs - they are holey, from her pecking them. She's going to freezer camp soon so hopefully that will change.

8. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I will pick them up more often when I have a lady wanting to go broody. But really it's 'cause I love the excitement of getting eggs. [​IMG]

9. lindseythefork

lindseythefork Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Humboldt County, CA
    Couple of hours? How many chickens do you have? I only have five, so I would have to either get them to all lay at the same time or just have really good timing to collect every few hours. [​IMG] I try to go out there once a day or every other day. Sometimes we forget and there's a pretty good pile going.

10. Ma Noob

Ma Noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    South Australia
    now they are back on the lay im usually out every arvo. when they were off it was every couple of days. If we are away i just get them when i get back. I just float them to check they are ok.

Winter is quite mild here so they are ok outside, but our summers get to 45c+ so im out every day then or they will cook!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by