When to pick eggs out of nest box.

monsterkx500

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
How long can the eggs stay in the nest box before you pick them? Can they stay in the box for couple of hour?

Yes, they can stay in there a couple of hours. My hens start laying at 6:00 AM but I don't pick them until about 6:00 PM when I get back from work. Your eggs will be fine for the day.

I've left mine in the nest box for a few days before (I only have a few hens) - no problems
smile.png
I normally collect late afternoon though. If you get really cold winters, as Fred said - the more often you collect, the less chance you have of eggs freezing/cracking.

We have to go out to the coop and check whenever we suspect someone has laid; we have an egg-eater and if we don't get them before she finds them we end up with "Sunday-go-to-meeting" eggs - they are holey, from her pecking them. She's going to freezer camp soon so hopefully that will change.

Couple of hours? How many chickens do you have? I only have five, so I would have to either get them to all lay at the same time or just have really good timing to collect every few hours.
smile.png
I try to go out there once a day or every other day. Sometimes we forget and there's a pretty good pile going.

now they are back on the lay im usually out every arvo. when they were off it was every couple of days. If we are away i just get them when i get back. I just float them to check they are ok.

Winter is quite mild here so they are ok outside, but our summers get to 45c+ so im out every day then or they will cook!

Back
Top Bottom