When to pick eggs out of nest box.

I pick up eggs 1x a day, unless I pass through on other business, in which case I grab whatever is there. I read somewhere that eggs kept out on the kitchen counter age at roughly 7 x the rate refrigerated eggs age (thus 1 day on the counter = a week in the fridge). That ratio no doubt holds for the coop too, and is why I aim for the once-a-day gather but know I'll survive if an egg happens to stay out a little longer.

That's the rational rationale. The truth of the matter is, I love picking up my girls' eggs!!! It's like Christmas every day!!
ya.gif

Last edited:
Well, I gather as I see em when passing by. I have some over zealous girls that if an egg is out too long try to go broody on me. Thanks to Sourland they are terminally broody.
Ofcourse, I work during the week so normally the eggs get picked up when I get home. Even in the triple digits the eggs are ok.

I work from home so I usually go and check several times a day. I have a hen that tends to go broody so I collect them as soon as they lay. I don't want the hen to sit on them too long and then go broody on me again!

Mary

I usually pick the eggs once per day but there have been times where a couple of days pass before I get to remove the eggs. Luckily, I don't have brooch chickens.

I go once a day when its time for the eveing chicken chores (food, water, love, poop scooopin) but my cousins gotten into the chickens now and goes anywere from 5-8 times a day to look for an egg. we get two a day so theres usually some disapoiment.

I've tried to stop going every 30 minutes
lol.png
I have 4 older hens, but 3 of them are molting (no eggs in a week)
lol.png
! BUT, my GLW is molting too, and laying, bless her heart. I'm excited about my younger hen begining so I check, A LOT! Like someone else said it is like getting a present everyday and I love it!

I'm addicted to my chickens, I'll admit it. Now they are starting to lay it is even worse. I check several times a day. It is like getting a Christmas present every day. I don't think it will ever get old for me either.
wee.gif

Quote:
Yah, me too, I check probably 4 times a day, sometimes more. I'm impatient, and I really do love getting eggs. And my girls are just starting, 2 of the 5 are currently laying (well, really 1, the other laid for 2 weeks and then went broody). The other 3 seem to be getting redder and redder in the face everyday so I'm always expecting someone new to start laying. So that's why I'm a little obsessive about it. Also, I'm in the last month of my maternity leave, so I kinda have some spare time on my hands.

Back
Top Bottom