When to prepare the nests for egglaying

Malfean

Songster
May 29, 2020
In my coop, the roost sits opposite of where the nests will be. Currently, I have 6 milk crates and have placed them on a nice shelving unit that the girls can access. To make sure they don't roost in the nesting boxes, I currently have them turned over so they're just sitting there like a half dozen blocks. I bought some excellent bedding for them, and even the little ceramic fake eggs to help them figure it out, and am ready - but my question is when should I prepare the boxes?

I bought my chickens and had them on May 25th. 18 Weeks suggests that they would start egg laying around the 24th of September (or the last week of September). Do I wait until that week, or do I build them earlier and simply try to stop them from roosting in the nesting boxes? Not sure on this one. Anyone got suggestions I could follow?

x2, set them up early so you have time to resolve any issues if birds are trying to sleep in them. You also want to give the pullets some time to explore nests before using them, they don't magically know what a nest box is and need to access them to consider them for use.

x2, set them up early so you have time to resolve any issues if birds are trying to sleep in them. You also want to give the pullets some time to explore nests before using them, they don't magically know what a nest box is and need to access them to consider them for use.
I will take this advice... but how do I keep them from sleeping in the nests?

Are they already roosting reliably? They're unlikely to switch to the nests if they're already used to the routine of roosting at night.
90% of them use the roost reliably. Some of them, however, I have noticed will go and wedge themselves between the milk crates. I've noticed that when I open the coop in the morning. The 'aspiring chicken wrangler' in me things the solution is to put something between the nesting boxes so they can't do that... but I could certainly use your advice!

The 'aspiring chicken wrangler' in me things the solution is to put something between the nesting boxes so they can't do that
Yep....you got it!
The trick to chickeneering is to outsmart them by blocking them from bad behaviors.
First you need to think, why are they doing that?

Why would a bird roost there, is there not enough space on the main roost?
Dimensions and pics of your roosts and nests might help us help you.
Also how many birds do you have?

I have multiple roosts for main flock and youngers as I add new chicks every year,
but also rigged a hinged cover for the nests to make it easier for me to block off the nests.
Cover it up an hour before roost time, then uncover when I lock up after dark.

RFLL9938.JPG

This is the roost. It is 5 feet in length. and 4.5 feet of height. There are 20 chickens. the majority of them like to sleep on the top tier, and some on the second. I rarely see any on the 3rd and none on the lowest. Obviously, they all want to roost on that top rung. There is plenty of room for all of them on the roost, but 4-5 of them have decided that they don't want to bother with it, and have decided to wedge between the nesting boxes.

Two things could be going on. Are the nests higher than those bottom two rungs? Then the ones too low in the pecking order to get a spot on the top two roosts are going to a higher roost.

It is also quite possible they are getting beat up and pecked by others higher in the pecking order as they are settling in for the night so they are wanting to go somewhere that they don't get beat up. Sound like that shelf where your nests are.

Aart asked a very good question about the nests and that shelf. That could help complete the picture. Without knowing what your nests look like my first thought is to add more roost space up at the level of the top two. That could be an extension of those or in another part of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom