when to put chicks in the coop

ep.gif
They just starting using the roost 5 days ago and i have 2- 4ft wide roost and this is where they go?! Should I just leave them alone or put something up there to block them from getting up there? They seem pretty happy
big_smile.png

Yes, that is where they go. They will try to get as high as they can. That's just them being chickens. No matter how high the roost is, they'll always be on the lookout to see if they can get up higher. If you want to block it off, you can, but as @azygous said, they'll get too big to get up there soon enough. It's not a big deal.

Thanks AllynTal and azygous! Being a new chicky mom, I want to do everything to protect them! I think I'll just leave them alone then, like I said they seemed happy
thumbsup.gif

I had to grab mine and put them in the coop tonight because I was worried about bad weather. They did real good this afternoon because I offered them some spinach which they love, and they came right back up into the coop but tonight maybe they were worried about the weather.

I am frustrated with my girls. They seem to figure out how to go down under the coop during the day, where it is cooler, but they won't go back up at night. Even if we wait until it is very dark, we will find them huddled in a corner, still outside. They do not follow treats or a light. We have to physically pick them up and put them into the coop. Part of the problem has been since we put them in the coop three days ago, it has been horribly hot and we have not been able to confine them to the coop. This week doesn't look any better, weather wise. Any tips or advise?
hmm.png

Mine are seven weeks and have been out since three weeks. They still forget stuff, but the sisters remind them. At first I caught every chick, which is not the best plan, to get them in coop and to bed. Now they do it themselves. It is horrid hot here in SC. 100% dur
ing day, still 93 at 7 pm. They love love love ice water. They wade in it, stand in it. And drink it. When it goes over 80, we pull the ice out. We also run hose cold and spray grass in the shade, and they lay in it, dust bathe in it, and eat grass. Cools them alot. They are also crazy for cold watermelon and a few other cold fruits.
I have tried getting them used to their own brooder, a kiddie pool, and they like it, but not for wading. Just as ome thoughts....
Lisa
Hi, I have been reading your experiences with trying to transition your chicks to the coop. I have 6 chicks, almost a week old now, and I'm hoping to transition them at @ 3 weeks, or sooner if weather permits. (I'm in Atlanta) I've used the MHP method for heat and it's worked extremely well, so I'm planning on moving the heating pad out with them. My coop is 4' x 6' and inside a fully enclosed and predator proofed run. The coop is elevated 3 ft off the ground - so there will be a ramp up to it. There is no door to the coop now because it's in the run. I'm wondering how to do the transition... Should I put a heating pad in both the run and coop, and let them stay in the run during the daytime, and put them in the coop at night? Food and water in both run and coop? Or should I lock them in the coop - again, weather permitting for a few days? (it's well ventilated and under shade, but I'm not sure yet what the temps will be inside during the day. I will definitely check that before making that move.) I would love your thoughts about this, and what you have found to be the best method! Thanks!

Hi, I have been reading your experiences with trying to transition your chicks to the coop. I have 6 chicks, almost a week old now, and I'm hoping to transition them at @ 3 weeks, or sooner if weather permits. (I'm in Atlanta) I've used the MHP method for heat and it's worked extremely well, so I'm planning on moving the heating pad out with them. My coop is 4' x 6' and inside a fully enclosed and predator proofed run. The coop is elevated 3 ft off the ground - so there will be a ramp up to it. There is no door to the coop now because it's in the run.  I'm wondering how to do the transition... Should I put a heating pad in both the run and coop, and let them stay in the run during the daytime, and put them in the coop at night? Food and water in both run and coop? Or should I lock them in the coop - again, weather permitting for a few days? (it's well ventilated and under shade, but I'm not sure yet what the temps will be inside during the day. I will definitely check that before making that move.) I would love your thoughts about this, and what you have found to be the best method! Thanks!
I live in Atlanta as well, and I think 3 weeks would be fine. Your set up seems fine, so the only thing I think you should do is to lock the chicks in the coop for a few days, no more than five, so that they can get accustomed to their new home.

I could work with mice... I have big ground squirrels that come and dig under the coop, so I put a wire floor in and then they would dig holes and go under the wire till the seed falls through and the eat it all!
They're making me crazy! We put plywood under the whole coop, but my husband put dirt and sand down on top of the wire and it makes it really hard to clean! Can't believe what we go through for these little guys!

I haven't seen any comments on wind. We get very strong winds here in the afternoons... i put up plywood to block it but it also cuts off the ventilation. Any suggestions?

I live in a very windy place, also. In my run, I've constructed permanent wind breaks out of discarded glass doors I had been given. In winter, my entire run is shielded from the weather by Coroplast panels. In summer, those come down, and the run is open except for the permanent wind breaks and a roof of fiberglass corrugated panels. There are vents up around the top so there's good air circulation even in winter.

I like the Coroplast because they are durable, strong, light weight, and let in plenty of light in winter. My coops are merely small sleeping quarters, but they have vents around the tops of walls, as well.

When I raised 3 of my first chicks what I did was put them in the garage in a large large dog crate with a small heat lamp which I had to turn off when the heat of summer days came. for about a month I keep them inside then I put them in the coop with the door closed (so the temperature stayed the same) and on good weather days I let them out in the run.
Hope this help some people.

Hi there, I found your answer very helpful. I have the same question about moving the newly hatched chicks out to be with the broody hen in the coop. The hen hatched one chick and abandoned the other eggs. We took the other eggs in to incubate and we think 1 or 2 will hatch soon. We assumed it's better for the chicks to grow up in the less sanitary environment, like the coop vs a cage, so it's a more natural upbringing...and she'll have the guidance of the mother hen. Also, there are two other hens in there with them. They seem to mind their own business and the broody momma is boss so we just figured they are fine together. So basically you suggest to move them into the coop right away, like a day later after hatching and their feathers dry/fluff? We should put them in there at night so the Momma hen is more accepting right? But if we're supposed to put them in the "cave" we build to keep them warm, then we can't put them under the momma at night. Does it matter? Thanks, any info helps us to understand what's best.

-Marisa

Back
Top Bottom