when to put out in the chicken tractor? Help?

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Our chickens are at 75 degrees w/heat lamp in the brooder, and are mostly feathered out (except for their heads) at 4 weeks. When do you think we could put them out in the top portion of our chicken tractor, without a heat lamp? We were thinking the fully enclosed portion with the ramp in the upright position would be warmer for them at least for a week or so, until they got used to the outside temps. Our temperatures here are 50 degrees at night, 60-70 degrees during the day.

Here is our tractor.

dixiedoodle10

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 8, 2010
6 weeks is usually when we put ours out. We like for them to have all their feathers.

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Quote:I am in Washington State, approximately 20 minutes north of Portland, Oregon.

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Would it work to put a heat lamp in the top part of the tractor, or would it be too hard to regulate the temperature?

SubmarineChick

Chirping
9 Years
May 27, 2010
I'm so glad you asked this question! My chicks are about 4 weeks old and are at about 75 degrees and I've been contemplating when I can safely move them out to their henhouse. I live in Western Washington, about an hour West of Seattle. I think I'm going to put them in a sectioned off part of the henhouse with their heat lamp and see how it goes. Any other Pacific Northwest chicken people with answers???

Orchid

Songster
9 Years
May 10, 2010
North Central MN
I'm glad you asked this as well. My chicks are 4 - 4 1/2 weeks old and the temps here are about the same, both in their brooder and outdoors, as yours. I'm afraid if I put a heat lamp in my coop, it's going to get too warm.

Hopefully we will all get some answers!

Hennypen

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Is 3 weeks old enough for Georgia? I can put a heat lamp out in the coop for heat at night.

Top Bottom