when to put out in the chicken tractor? Help?

4urbanchicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 26, 2010
Our chickens are at 75 degrees w/heat lamp in the brooder, and are mostly feathered out (except for their heads) at 4 weeks. When do you think we could put them out in the top portion of our chicken tractor, without a heat lamp? We were thinking the fully enclosed portion with the ramp in the upright position would be warmer for them at least for a week or so, until they got used to the outside temps. Our temperatures here are 50 degrees at night, 60-70 degrees during the day.

Here is our tractor.

55617_chicken_tractor.jpg

Quote:
I am in Washington State, approximately 20 minutes north of Portland, Oregon.

Would it work to put a heat lamp in the top part of the tractor, or would it be too hard to regulate the temperature?

I'm so glad you asked this question! My chicks are about 4 weeks old and are at about 75 degrees and I've been contemplating when I can safely move them out to their henhouse. I live in Western Washington, about an hour West of Seattle. I think I'm going to put them in a sectioned off part of the henhouse with their heat lamp and see how it goes. Any other Pacific Northwest chicken people with answers???

I'm glad you asked this as well. My chicks are 4 - 4 1/2 weeks old and the temps here are about the same, both in their brooder and outdoors, as yours. I'm afraid if I put a heat lamp in my coop, it's going to get too warm.

Hopefully we will all get some answers!
smile.png

Is 3 weeks old enough for Georgia? I can put a heat lamp out in the coop for heat at night.

Back
Top Bottom