When to put outside?

They have the same amount of feathers as when we usually start putting them outside
big_smile.png
. It's so cute when there that age and go outside for the first time because they are still young enough that they are fascinated at everything and will run around and keep running up to you
wee.gif
like look what I found!

I would put them out with a smaller box so they can all keep heat together and let them play in the day at 6 weeks or so. I put them out sooner with light or mom. currently have both on some 4-5 week olds.

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. It was warmer and sunny yesterday so around noon I decided to give them their first taste of outside. At first they all stayed together in about the same spot I put them. Then they started venturing to the other run, and into the coop. Thankfully they found the 5G waterer fairly quickly. It was sooo good to watch them be chickens. Long story short I didn't have the heart to put them back in the brooder. It went down to mid-40s last night, and this morning I got up after the sun, and they were just outside the coop door. Looks like they handled the cooler night ok. I checked on them a couple times with a flashlight before I headed to bed, they were all in the coop. Wish me luck!

Man your so lucky. We have 3 ducks that we are looking for a warmer day to put them outside for there first time but it's still snowing
barnie.gif
. I wish it would get warmer
hit.gif
Hope your chicks have fun in there new home and stay warm at night
smile.png

We moved our newbies outside in a carport at 3 weeks. The carport gave them draft protection, but let them get acclimated to being outside. We transitioned them to the coop/run at 6 weeks. They are doing well and growing like crazy. Before we moved them to the carport, we had them in a pet exercise pen on the grass in the backyard during the day and them inside at night.

I was hoping to get most of my chicks outside this week but mother nature has pushed that back by at least a week. I was going to move the R.I. Reds (8 weeks old) and my Fayoumis (5 weeks old) to the brand new coop but I have 7" of snow with more on the way. They have been in the house since I have had them so I guess another week is not going to hurt. I was just excited to get them into something bigger so they had more room. And of course the bantams are going to be in the house longer as they are only 5 days old.

They are loving the extra room, and actual grass! I was out with them early this morning since there was threat of rain, and the tarp roof I have on the larger section of their run needed tending to. I think it should hold up to a rain storm now
tongue.png
Mostly sunny skies, and no real rain today. Where I have their food hanging it should be clear of the rain, but I'll have to wait and see. Oh, I found a grasshopper while I was working in the garden, it only got one hop in once I dropped it into their run. I'll keep you up to date, but the 5 day forecast shows lows warmer than last night, and they handled it with no problem.

I just put 7 three week old chicks in their coop With a light for warmth. They are fully feathered for the most part and seem to be doing well. I live in Oklahoma and our weather is unpredictable. Our nights have ranged from 48 degrees to 60 degrees and have been having lots of rain.

I truly appreciate the ovations I've received. I have read all of your posts and didn't realize just how many chicken lovers we have out there and how many people are interested in other people's interest in each other's success or failure. I haven't given any ovations yet but when I figure out how I will. I've been raising poultry for several years now and have gotten more information from you all that I didn't realize was out there. I stumbled onto BYC looking for information and found an avalanche of it. I'm grateful to you all. Thank you.

Update on cold eggs. 12 hatched,1 died. Broke my heart. 15 eggs left. 1 piping. Due date was 21st. How many days should I wait before discarding remaining eggs?

I truly appreciate the ovations I've received. I have read all of your posts and didn't realize just how many chicken lovers we have out there and how many people are interested in other people's interest in each other's success or failure. I haven't given any ovations yet but when I figure out how I will. I've been raising poultry for several years now and have gotten more information from you all that I didn't realize was out there. I stumbled onto BYC looking for information and found an avalanche of it. I'm grateful to you all. Thank you.

Update on cold eggs. 12 hatched,1 died. Broke my heart. 15 eggs left. 1 piping. Due date was 21st. How many days should I wait before discarding remaining eggs?
See the little "thumbs up" box at the bottom of each post (next to the "multi, quote, and reply" buttons)? Click it - a box pops up and you can either type comment or not, and hit "add to reputaiton" and an ovation is given.

Back
Top Bottom