When to put permanent leg bands on pullets??

Amelise

Songster
Sep 20, 2020
Southern U.S
I have some metal leg bands that I would like to put on my pullets before their second show. As of now, they are exactly 15 weeks old. By their next show in March, they will be 23-24 weeks. When should I put these leg bands on? I was thinking it might be ok to put them on before the show, and I would apply the bands on the medium setting so they can grow into it?

There was an option to put leg band number on the exhibition sign-up forms, but I signed up for the competition before I acquired the leg bands, so leg band number was N/A. Would putting on their leg bands on before the show cause any confusion?

Anyways, I would like to hear what y’all think because being at my first exhibition last week made me realize that having leg bands for my birds next competition would be a lot safer and make it a bit easier to tell them apart from their competitors.Thanks!

Attachments

• D59E77DA-A6F2-45E9-8843-98145D0A1453.jpeg
    D59E77DA-A6F2-45E9-8843-98145D0A1453.jpeg
    684.6 KB · Views: 67
  • F9E418FF-018E-450E-90A2-8BB4413BCE8D.jpeg
    F9E418FF-018E-450E-90A2-8BB4413BCE8D.jpeg
    336.2 KB · Views: 17
  • B761C4B5-D0E4-47C2-9401-4615B8437C13.jpeg
    B761C4B5-D0E4-47C2-9401-4615B8437C13.jpeg
    447.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks!!
I think I've got a plan of action now. I'll see how the largest setting fits on them and if it doesn't slip off then i'll keep it on them. If they never quite grow into it, i'll cut the band off and put it on a snugger setting when they're fully grown. Hopefully that works out!

Large fowl generally reach mature leg size by 7 to 8 months. Roosters don't grow spurs until nearly a year old so wait for roosters. If you put a band on a rooster before the spur has grown, it can wedge over the spur which prevents the spur from growing. When the spur is about 3/8 inch long, you can put a band on safely.

I honestly am not sure when their legs stop growing. 🤔 Looking at pictures of my tiny Old English, it looks like I gave them their permanent bands somewhere between 20 and 24 weeks of age, but I don't know how their growth compares to a large fowl bird's growth, nor if they could have been banded sooner.

Is it possible to unclasp these bands or are they stuck when they're set? Can you test out the sizes without clasping it fully? Maybe have someone hold the bird so that you can wrap it on her leg without clasping it and then pull on it and see if it's loose enough to slip off over her foot? That way you can find the loosest setting that works and leave them lots of room to grow.

I can't answer you regarding the leg band numbers and showing, but @Amer might be able to?

Smart choice getting extras! 🙂 Since you have those, you can always cut the bands off if they start to get too tight as the birds grow and put the next one on bigger. Your birds are lovely, by the way! :love

Some breeds are slower to mature, and those bred more for show than for utility are some of the slowest to mature. Your Ameraucana boys are probably totally normal for their breed and will crow when they are ready. 🙂

As for their region, do you mean what class they fall under for showing? I believe large fowl Ameraucanas are in the AOSB (All Other Standard Breeds) class in show.

A rooster starts to crow when he goes through puberty. This is generally between 6 months and 8 months old for large fowl. You will be able to tell because the hackle and saddle feathers lengthen as testosterone kicks in. This is also the time when mature roosters will start to show dominance toward the younger birds.

I made the mistake of putting a game rooster in with a pen of mixed egg laying breeds about 20 years ago. As he grew, he eventually reached a point where he started fighting the other roosters. He whipped #3 in a couple of hours and from that point forward Game Boy was #3. Then a few weeks later he fought #2 for about 4 or 5 hours. When he whipped #2, he became #2. Then he tackled #1, the dominant rooster that was twice his size. They fought for 3 days before Game Boy won. It was almost a pyrrhic victory as both roosters looked like they had been drug through a knot-hole. But from that point forward he was #1. He was about 8 months old when he became cock-of-the-walk.

I honestly am not sure when their legs stop growing. 🤔 Looking at pictures of my tiny Old English, it looks like I gave them their permanent bands somewhere between 20 and 24 weeks of age, but I don't know how their growth compares to a large fowl bird's growth, nor if they could have been banded sooner.

Is it possible to unclasp these bands or are they stuck when they're set? Can you test out the sizes without clasping it fully? Maybe have someone hold the bird so that you can wrap it on her leg without clasping it and then pull on it and see if it's loose enough to slip off over her foot? That way you can find the loosest setting that works and leave them lots of room to grow.

I can't answer you regarding the leg band numbers and showing, but @Amer might be able to?
They are the bands with which you need an applicator to apply them (you smush the metal together and it turns flat), when they're on they're pretty permanent, but I can cut them back off with a wire cutter in case of an issue. I made 4 extras for each bird, so I have room for some trial and error. Also, i'm sorry I forgot to mention the breed, but my birds are LF Ameraucanas. They are about as big as my 3.5 pound E.E hen right now (I put her band on the medium setting, and it fits her nicely), but i'm hoping they'll reach the standard weight for pullets soon.

Also I can test the leg band sizes on them. Here’s Henrietta (my non show bird hen) with hers on.

Attachments

• 50253C95-86B3-4EAC-81CA-B801817D6AD5.jpeg
    50253C95-86B3-4EAC-81CA-B801817D6AD5.jpeg
    394.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 5CCD0BE8-4646-4780-AD81-989A8782EE40.jpeg
    5CCD0BE8-4646-4780-AD81-989A8782EE40.jpeg
    615.4 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom