When to put the chicks in the coop

andrealeec

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
So yesterday I moved all 11 6 week old chicks into the coop. They were having a great time until it started to get dark and cold. It was about 55 degrees and I knew the temp would drop more in the night. I could put the heat lamp in there I guess, but when is a good time to put them out there without a light? The low for tonight in CT is about 53 degrees. The rest of the week shows low 60's. I ended up bringing them all back in last night because they were all huddled in the corner...

I would say when they are fully feathered out, you can take away the heat lamp. We always wait until they are 12 weeks old. But that is coming from somebody who keeps the baby chicks in her bedroom that whole time!
lol.png

Anyways, just focus the lamp on one spot so if they get cold they can go under it, and if they get hot they can move away from it. Then you can see if they are huddling for warmth, or huddling because of the dark and new environment.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I live in CT too and it got pretty cold last night. If they are fully feathered and it's in the 60's at night - it would probably not be an issue. I would wait a little longer. Our weather/temps have been a bit unstable. Also, they will probably be a little scared at first in the coop anyway.

They'll sleep in a "chick raft" for a while longer yet whether they're cold or not. At least, mine did (and it was 70 degrees so I know they weren't cold!) Then, when the oldest ones hit 8 weeks, a switch flipped in their chick brains and they went up to the roost. The younger ones followed their lead. And that was it -- no more chick raft.

Quote:
I thought I was crazy brooding my chicks in my bedroom right next to the bed. Glad to see someone else does it too!

Quote:
I thought I was crazy brooding my chicks in my bedroom right next to the bed. Glad to see someone else does it too!

Crazy is as crazy does.....LOL

Our chicks are 3 weeks old tomorrow and are getting very frisky! They have discovered they can fly the 18" to the top of the brooder and practice roosting....LOL
big_smile.png
These are our second batch of chicks, having lost the first 6 to a neighborhood cat, even with the top of the brooder covered with chicken wire.
sad.png

When I got the 12 we have now, I decided to bring the brooder into the house. So, they are in the Media Room and love watching the 60" HDTV in there. However, they are noticeably upset that Desperate Housewives is on hiatus for the summer
tongue.png
lol.png

TW
big_smile.png

PS: I have been wondering if it is okay to start mixing Amorphous Diamotaceous Earth into there feed or not.......I want them to be as healthy and happy as possible!
smile.png

I was going to raise my peeps on the screen porch, but if you raise the chicks in your house, doesn't the house A/C keep the room to Cool?? Also, what about the smell? I live in South Texas, so the overnight lows are around 78 at the coldest. In other words, outside is warmer for me, but I am worried about Raccoons breaking the screen and getting the Chicks.

My eight are almost 4 weeks old. I wish I could put them out this week. They are getting big. The box which seemed so large with eight teeny chicks looks really small. The little Yokohamas have only quadrupled in size, the RIRs doubled that. The box is only about 2 feet high. The Hamburgs can get that high and one of the S/Ls just jumped onto the edge to get up close and check what I was doing. How the heck can I keep them in the basement another 2 months? Temp in the box is between 70 and 80 and they don't huddle real tight and they don't pant. I'm figuring they are out in three more weeks, gotta be.

Quote:
Yes we have AC, but the temperatures in Vancouver Washington have been cool (except for 85 yesterday) and I leave the heat light on all the time and odor hasn't been an issue, since the brooder is cleaned A LOT.......
smile.png

I, too would be worried about the Coons, they are very clever and adept at getting into place and things you don't want 'em too. I just took the predators out of the equation by bringing them in the house.
big_smile.png

TW
smile.png

My foursome are about 3-4 weeks and have been getting restless soon. Not to mention going through 25% of their food in a WEEK. The starter bag of food I had has lasted almost their first month and suddenly the last week they ate me out of house & home! *lol* Reminds me a lot of my 3.5yr old son! Growing babies are always hungry... and mommies are always broke. :p

Four days ago I transitioned them to our small protected shed with the cardboard box. That's where we keep the bedding so it's been quite a bit easier to clean and change water (hose on side of shed and easy plug for their heat lamp). They started making the laundry room smell!

We were given a coop that needs a hinge replaced, has no ramp, and BADLY needs a paint job. I figured by the time next payday rolls around and I get it fixed up they will be old enough to start spending some time in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom