When to put them out side?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by first time farmer, Mar 6, 2009.

1. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    How old should my chicks be when i put them in the outside brooder coop? I have the brooder inside and made the out side brooder coop tonight.

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    usually about 6-8 weeks old make sure they grow there feathers in. im getting my chicks april 1st and they probably wont be outside until end of may ,

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Not sure what the weather is like in New Hampshire, but mine go out as day olds at the end of April, beginning of May in a draft free brooder pen with a heat light.

4. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

It depends on the weather and what your outside coop is like. They can go out much younger if it is warmer outside, or if you have a heat lamp outside...as long as you can maintain the right temps. I don't have a heat lamp and I'm not completely finished predator-proofing yet, so I bring my 6-week old chicks in at night. They are out all day when I'm home (I'm a stay-at-home-mom), but I bring them inside to their brooder at night for warmth and safety.

5. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thank you all. The outside brooder is an insulated dog house so I will put them in it at the end of april early may.

6. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Quote:Sorry! Off Topic! Love your avatar morelcabin....[​IMG]

7. countrygirl_247

countrygirl_247 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    if u have an insulated dog house with a heat lamp on they would be fine. I have 2 day olds out in my outside 4x2 brooder box since yesterday & they're fine. It was about 55 out when i put them out there yesterday with 2 heat lamps on one end there food & water on the other with shade. They are a little more hardy than we think. Hope this helps.

8. first time farmer

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:This does help. I think I am going to keep them inside until they are feathered than they will go out side. how does that sound for a plan?

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with the other posts, around 2 months or when they are pretty fully feathered.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by