When to put them outside

GarthRyan

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
I have ten chicks and I'm not real sure about the breeds of seven of them. I know three are barred rock. But my question is when should I know that they're ready to go outside? I'm not sure about their age. I'm thinking they're about two weeks old and most are just starting to get their tail feathers. So when should I put them outside?

A lot of people wait till they are fully feathered - 6-8 weeks. I just put my 6 week old ones out last weekend in there temp home. They still get a heat lamp at night.

A lot of people wait till they are fully feathered - 6-8 weeks. I just put my 6 week old ones out last weekend in there temp home. They still get a heat lamp at night.

Thanks, Brenda! I'm thinking about waiting till they're fully feathered.

Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old they are NUTS flying around the box scratching dust baiting peeeeeping (which I thought was a sign they were stressed) they are almost fully feathered (all but the tops of their heads n bellies) I just had to create a bigger pen for them but I'm thinking it may almost be time for them to go out!!! I have 6 eight year olds who I do not Nooot not not remember being so active and or growing sooooooo quickly!!! Good luck w/ yours!!!!

Mine are 2 1/2 weeks old they are NUTS flying around the box scratching dust baiting peeeeeping (which I thought was a sign they were stressed) they are almost fully feathered (all but the tops of their heads n bellies) I just had to create a bigger pen for them but I'm thinking it may almost be time for them to go out!!! I have 6 eight year olds who I do not Nooot not not remember being so active and or growing sooooooo quickly!!! Good luck w/ yours!!!!

Mine are starting to try to fly around too but they haven't started scratching yet. They also peep..and quite loud at that. They're pretty quiet unless I'm around them or pick them up but then they really announce their thoughts. Two of them are older than the rest, we believe, and they're starting to grow feathers on their necks now and have inch long tail feathers. The others are starting to grow some tail feathers and some on their chests. And thanks! Good luck to you too!

Hey, depends on your climate and where you live. In warmer climates, south, they can feather rather quickly. Best to give enough time and feathers to avoid night time temps that could chill them along with other conditions such as rain, especially if they can get a little damp.

6 weeks is safer, less than that, consider the above, We were able to put ours in the coop at 4 weeks, they were Easter incubator babies.

We had 2 hens go broody, those 2 week old chicks were fine with their Mom outside in the peeper pen/coop. But, 4 days ago, hens left the nest, too crowded. Those peeps did well 4 or 5 days in our warm Gulf Coast weather, until these big rains and lower temps came in on Wednesday.

I brought them back inside our outdoor porch bathroom with a 75 watt light bulb on them. They will stay there most likely for at least 2 weeks, until they are feathered out and our weather is warmer/stable.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hey, depends on your climate and where you live.  In warmer climates, south, they can feather rather quickly.  Best to give enough time and feathers to avoid night time temps that could chill them along with other conditions such as rain, especially if they can get a little damp.

6 weeks is safer, less than that, consider the above,  We were able to put ours in the coop at 4 weeks, they were Easter incubator babies.

We had 2 hens go broody, those 2 week old chicks were fine with their Mom outside in the peeper pen/coop.  But, 4 days ago, hens left the nest, too crowded.  Those peeps did well 4 or 5 days in our warm Gulf Coast weather, until these big rains and lower temps came in on Wednesday. 

I brought them back inside our outdoor porch bathroom with a 75 watt light bulb on them.  They will stay there most likely for at least 2 weeks, until they are feathered out and our weather is warmer/stable.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot! And I live in the south, Tuscaloosa Alabama, but the temperature hasn't really stabilized yet and fluctuates daily so they're still in the garage in their cage. I leave the door open during the day so they get to see outside and some fresh air. And the neighbors hen visits them multiple times a day and cleans up any food that has spilled lol. She comes running when she hears the door open. And she's laying eggs at my house so I'm pretty happy! I have gotten 9 from her so far. One a day!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! And I live in the south, Tuscaloosa Alabama, but the temperature hasn't really stabilized yet and fluctuates daily so they're still in the garage in their cage. I leave the door open during the day so they get to see outside and some fresh air. And the neighbors hen visits them multiple times a day and cleans up any food that has spilled lol. She comes running when she hears the door open. And she's laying eggs at my house so I'm pretty happy! I have gotten 9 from her so far. One a day!
Egg-cellent!!! Good for you and welcome to BYC! Where are you located? I'm up, listening to this bad thunderstorm and lightning on the Gulf Coast. Still a little concerned about my pullets outside. Sure they are pretty nervous by now. Stay in touch.

Last edited:
Egg-cellent!!!  Good for you and welcome to BYC!  Where are you located?  I'm up, listening to this bad thunderstorm and lightning on the Gulf Coast.  Still a little concerned about my pullets outside.  Sure they are pretty nervous by now.  Stay in touch.

Tuscaloosa! And yeah I think that rain is heading my way soon.. And thanks for the welcome! I love this website! I'm new to the chicken thing myself but my mom has had chickens many times and many different kinds!

Duh, somehow I missed the mention of your location. Good, it helps to have someone nearby to help out. I love BYC too! Hope this storm isn't to hard on ya'll, guess I need to try and call it a night. Talk to you soon!

Back
Top Bottom