When to put up nest boxes

mamatomany

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
South Carolina
We have 15 chickens, 5 buff orpingtons, 5 silver laced wyondottes, 4 americaunas, and 1welsummer. We have not put any nest boxes up yet and they are 4.5 months old....should we do it now, we were told they would not lay until they were 6 months maybe 7 months old.

I'm interested in this question also. We just moved ours to the coop this weekend. I don't have the nest boxes out - are you supposed to have them there from the get-go or wait until they're 20 weeks or so?

And is there some kind of magic lining to put in them that makes hens want to lay eggs?
wink.png

Do it soon. I got my first egg when my birds were 17 weeks old. (Just over 4 months) Most started laying from 20 to 24 weeks. We were lucky as we put the nest boxes in the week before.

I agree, get them in soon. Mine are 20.5 weeks old and 2 are laying, 5 are not.

ETA: The some of the ones not laying are practicing in the nesting boxes though.

Last edited by a moderator:
my girls didn't wait for the boxes- they picked a corner in the coop and that is that as far as they are concerned- no my dilemma, will they accept a nestbox now? they are 16 weeks old

One of my chickens started laying at 15 1/2 weeks! I was shocked to find an egg on the floor of the run so early. I had to rig up an "emergency" nest box out of a recycling bin, with a piece of plywood screwed to the top. I put it up on timbers, with one to step up on, and she took to it right away. I am always suprised out how easy it is to get them to use a next box if you build and furbish (straw) it right. (oh, and a couple of golf balls). Be sure and start getting them layer food and oyster shell also.

mammatomany, thanks for asking the question! I just realized my BO are 19 weeks and I do not have their nesting boxes up yet!
he.gif
So far none are laying that I know of. I just started free ranging this past week. Wonder if there is way to make them use nesting boxes.. or will they pick a spot in the yard?
barnie.gif

I've had chickens that, once they started laying eggs somewhere, that was where they wanted to lay eggs FOREVER. Put the boxes up now so they don't get started somewhere else.

(I have a hen that lays her eggs in the burn pile. How's that for brilliance?)

Even though they have a big run, sugar went into the coop to lay- so i better get them something tomorrow- since they will probably follow her lead

Back
Top Bottom