When To Re-home a Rooster

The reality is of all the birds hatched every yr about half are males. Then the ratio of roos to hens (which varies 5:1-10:1) leaves 4-9 roos without a flock. Not to mention the millions of suburban backyard flocks that aren't even allowed to have one rooster. Then together they will fight and/or kill each other leaves very few options.
My solution is freezer camp.

When to re-home a rooster - is when you first realize, this is not working. The first time, you make excuses, plan ridiculous solutions, try and try something else, then you cull him. The second time, you get to the last decision much sooner, and if somehow, you have had a good rooster, well, you don't keep a rotten rooster.

If you can't eat him, then bury him. But get him out of the flock. What you will realize when he is gone, is how much he was ruining the whole chicken experience for you, your birds and your family.

MRs K

I have a Splash/Copper Marans rooster who I don't want to re-home, but I am starting to think it might be best. I'm looking for advice and input.

He was hand raised. He's 9 months old and probably because it's breeding season, he's been Hell on Wheels for the rest of the flock.

He is hard on the hens, and he guards areas close to food and water from the whole flock but his favorite hen.

He's chased and been aggressive to smaller birds (bantam sized), he's chased my kids, and he pushes the flock to one corner of the pasture and basically won't let them out of that corner.

What can I do with this rooster? Today I was going to keep the rest of the flock in the enclosed run and let him free range, but unfortunately my husband let the bantams out before talking to me and this bird is really going after them.

Should I keep him? If so, what am I supposed to do with him? He can't free range with the rest of the flock and I don't really have anywhere to put him.

I don't know if I want to rehome him unless it's to someone who has a bachelor pad or someone who has large fowls exclusively and no kids running around.

So I'm wondering what I can do, I guess.
He sound like he would probably behave like that no matter what I probably do not have the correct advice so I will just say good luck

We had said we didn’t want any Roos. We ended up with a cockerel that was my favorite. We had a plan in place, if he became too much for the girls he would just be fully free range and susceptible to predators but if he ever became human aggressive he had to go. Well he attempted to attack me on day and I brushed it off (I had let him out and he was separated from the girls it was morning and raging hormones). A few days later he attacked our 5-year-old. He was gone within hours. Unfortunately from what I’ve read is aggression will become more frequent and more intense, with kids involved, it’s not worth it. I cried way too much over a dang chicken but I also know it was what was best. I should have done it sooner but I kept wanting it to be fine.

My husband has decided he's getting his own small coop and that's probably where he'll stay when he's not free ranging on his own. I wanted to re-home him, but nobody has shown interest and I can't guarantee he wouldn't do the same to someone else. I would feel bad if he did. Eating him is the best thing to do, really. I didn't want to spend money on another coop, even a small one. Ugh. He's staying in his crate in the garage (with shavings and food and water) until we can get that coop together. I told husband if he lets him out again, he's going to go catch him. He's not mean to adults and I can handle him fine but everyone else is kind of afraid of him because he's so big. He's like 8 or 9 lbs. Anyway, thank you all for your advice. I wish I could take it. I'm weirdly curious about eating him. I just don't have the stuff to fully home process. Oh well. Guess he lives another day.

I have a Splash/Copper Marans rooster who I don't want to re-home, but I am starting to think it might be best. I'm looking for advice and input.

He was hand raised. He's 9 months old and probably because it's breeding season, he's been Hell on Wheels for the rest of the flock.

He is hard on the hens, and he guards areas close to food and water from the whole flock but his favorite hen.

He's chased and been aggressive to smaller birds (bantam sized), he's chased my kids, and he pushes the flock to one corner of the pasture and basically won't let them out of that corner.

What can I do with this rooster? Today I was going to keep the rest of the flock in the enclosed run and let him free range, but unfortunately my husband let the bantams out before talking to me and this bird is really going after them.

Should I keep him? If so, what am I supposed to do with him? He can't free range with the rest of the flock and I don't really have anywhere to put him.

I don't know if I want to rehome him unless it's to someone who has a bachelor pad or someone who has large fowls exclusively and no kids running around.

Roosters are tasty, Really tasty!:D

My husband has decided he's getting his own small coop and that's probably where he'll stay when he's not free ranging on his own. I wanted to re-home him, but nobody has shown interest and I can't guarantee he wouldn't do the same to someone else. I would feel bad if he did. Eating him is the best thing to do, really. I didn't want to spend money on another coop, even a small one. Ugh. He's staying in his crate in the garage (with shavings and food and water) until we can get that coop together. I told husband if he lets him out again, he's going to go catch him. He's not mean to adults and I can handle him fine but everyone else is kind of afraid of him because he's so big. He's like 8 or 9 lbs. Anyway, thank you all for your advice. I wish I could take it. I'm weirdly curious about eating him. I just don't have the stuff to fully home process. Oh well. Guess he lives another day.
It really doesn’t take much to home process. Mostly all you need is a good, sharp knife. A pot for scalding if you choose to pluck him, otherwise you can skin him and skip that step.

I had a 9 month old Plymouth Rock rooster that turned pretty aggressive around 7 months. He started attacking my 10 YO grandson and then started on me.

We ate him tonight and he was delicious baked! The ONLY thing to do when you get an aggressive rooster is eat him. They don't get better.

Try caging him for a while,or separating him in a large pen.I have 2 roosters,Tom and Jerry,that was playing havoc with my ducks and geese-humping them! I caged them for a couple months,then turned them loose-that took care of the problem-mostly.I also handle them a lot,carry them around like babies-that also really helps,takes some of the aggression out of them.

Back
Top Bottom