When to refrigerate eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickenluver555, Feb 23, 2014.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have three chickens. I usually check for eggs at night when I go to close them up, but one night it just slipped my mind and I forgot. So, the next night, I found double the eggs - the ones from today and the ones from yesterday. I quickly put them in the refrigerator, but then thought to myself "are they okay to eat if they have been outside for 48 hours."
    Are they okay to eat?? And how long can I go without refrigerating eggs?

-Gina

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    think back to the times before refrigerators. some people still dont put them in at all. i would count on the temp not being hot though. you wouldnt want them out there for 2 days in 90 degree temps. but normal house temps. will keep them fine for a couple of weeks anyway. i belive it is Europe that it is against policy in the stores to put them in.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Oh I very rarely and I do mean rarely put my eggs in the refrigerator. Unless its100 degrees and I don't turn the a.c n the house.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    One day outside of the ref. is equal to one week in the ref. Yes they will last outside the ref. but the whites stay fresher if inside it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by