When to remove heat lamp?

How do you wean them off the heat lamp? And what age? Do just point it away from them more more or shut the lamp off for short amount of times increasing the length it’s off? Thank you for any advice
Raise it up so it's cooler at the end of the brooder you have the heat. The other end should be as close to ambient temperatures as possible. I don't pay any attention to a thermometer. I pay attention to the chicks.
If they are zipping around like normal, they're fine.
If they are huddled and peeping loudly, they're cold. Lower the lamp a little.
I would target having it removed entirely by week 5 if you are brooding indoors. And keep it as cool as you can (as close to outdoor temps) in the room you are brooding in.
Do you have a coop? Do you have adult chickens?

Raise it up so it's cooler at the end of the brooder you have the heat. The other end should be as close to ambient temperatures as possible. I don't pay any attention to a thermometer. I pay attention to the chicks.
If they are zipping around like normal, they're fine.
If they are huddled and peeping loudly, they're cold. Lower the lamp a little.
I would target having it removed entirely by week 5 if you are brooding indoors. And keep it as cool as you can (as close to outdoor temps) in the room you are brooding in.
Do you have a coop? Do you have adult chickens?
My peeps are about 10 days old. I am not a pro. I have a make shift brooder. A box that the light shines on halfway. They prefer to lay in the light. When I take them out of the box, they will be energetic at first but then huddle together. Should I start weaning them now?

My peeps are about 10 days old. I am not a pro. I have a make shift brooder. A box that the light shines on halfway. They prefer to lay in the light. When I take them out of the box, they will be energetic at first but then huddle together. Should I start weaning them now?
It's not to early to start the weaning process (I reduce heat every 5 days or so), but obviously they still need a heat source they can use whenever they need. You can use a dimmer, physically move the lamp a little further away, or use lower wattage bulbs to gradually reduce heat.

Back
Top Bottom