When to remove water at night in cold weather?

Jenjens

Songster
Jun 5, 2019
IL
Hello,

I know you need to remove water at night when it's real cold to remove humidity, but ballpark, what temperature would that be? Once it reaches 30 degrees f?

Thank you!

I thought that you remove water when it gets real cold so that the water doesn't freeze :idunno Hopefully someone else can help with your humidity question

I have read this as well, most recently in the featured "Winterizing" article of the last couple of days. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dos-and-donts-for-winterizing.67255/

The birds need water frequently including when they first start moving, if you are up crack of dawn to provide fresh water removal is perhaps an option?

Logic suggests that water dispensed through nipples will not create much humidity. The greatest source of humidity in a coop would be their waste overnight and their breathing (I am not an expert so could be wrong).

I do know that eliminating humidity through appropriate ventilation is required. I would focus on achieving that and keep water in the coop 24/7. I both feed and water my flock inside the coop (hanging feeders/waterers with nipples). I built it to be predator/pest proof (and so far have not had any issues). I have a Woods fresh air coop and have zero humidity buildup in the winters.

Back
Top Bottom