When to remove?

CobraFnD

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
First of 45 hatched this morning around 8am. I leave for work tomorrow morning at 4am, and get home around 3. When should I take out the chicks that have hatched? I have 10 hatched so far, with lots of pips.it already looks to be getting crowded in there.

my hatcher is fairly easy to get back up to humidity quick so i take them out once i've got a few to keep each other company, once they've fluffed... i've had more problems leaving them in, as they have a tendency to harrass hatching chicks more IMO.

depends on your incubator but I use a shallow wide brim cup (plastic) and cram it full of paper towels, and soak them down until the paper packs down and water doesn't pool above it (drowning safety). once you've got the chicks out, put the cup under the fan and it'll crank the humidity back up quick...

I do "lockdown" only in that the eggs get moved to the hatcher with much higher humidity than the (dry) incubator... i still open/close it regularly, but also constantly monitor the humidity and adjust as needed... but it works for me.

I would take them out.
jumpy.gif

I take mine out once they are fully fluffified and able to walk around without being too wobbly. Right now I only have one brooding box, with a silkie that's getting big, so I want them mobile enough to not get squashed. Tomorrow I need to set up a 2nd brooder.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom