When to send them out...

corvidae

Songster
8 Years
Feb 27, 2011
Utah
I have 8 Welsummers, 5-6 weeks old and, unfortunately, I am too much of a newbie to be able to tell if they are fully feathereed out. I want to get them out of their brooder (they are starting to make escape attempts) and into their coop, but the night-time weather here (Utah) is running 35-40 degrees. Is that too cold for them It hasn't been bad during the day. I haven't any really feasible way of running electricity out to the coop, so I'm a bit worried about them getting too cold. They are lovely birds and I'd hate to see them suffer because I put them out too soon.

I have to say that I would love some Welsummers so I am totally green with envy that you have them! I got chicks coming mid April, but ordered too late to get Welsummers.

I would say you should probably wait another couple weeks. 40-45 degress is a mite too chilly for that age of chick, especially with no electricity in the coop. I believe I waited until 8 weeks with my first batch and even then they had the heat lamp on overnight.

Quote:
Let's see if I've figured out the picture posting thing yet...
tongue.png

81058_photo_crop.jpg

81058_floorbird_crop.jpg

81058_birdonperch.jpg

Yeesh, hope that works...

And, oh yes, if anyone has suggestions on how to tell boys vs girls, I'd surely appreciate it...
tongue.png

Quote:
They are at room temp--about 68 degrees right now and they've been thriving at that for about 2 weeks, surprisingly.

Can you put them out a few hours a day until they are acclimated? i have a Juvenile Play pen for the exact same reason... (formerly a temp. dog yard)

Back
Top Bottom