When to separate Hen and chicks?

grettasurfergirl

Chirping
May 27, 2019
Solana Beach, CA
Hello!
We just had two broody hens both hatch fertile eggs I bought elsewhere about 3.5 weeks apart from each other. Now that the new chicks just hatched I am wondering about the older chicks (almost 4 weeks old) and when they can be separated from mama hen. It’s been pretty warm so I’m not sure they need to be with her all the way until 6 weeks. My concerns are that the brooder is getting a little small with mama in there (even though they have a small run outside all day), the chicks are not used to being held or handled by people because silky mama goes psycho and also the one lone chicken that didn’t go broody is all by herself up in the big run and coop area.

Can anyone let me know:
- When can mama hen go back in the coop?
- When can I introduce chicks to the other hens?
- When can chicks go up in the coop with the others for good?
- How to get the chicks less scared of people?
- Can the older chicks be put in with the new chicks and the other mama hen?

THANK YOU for any advice you can offer!

I only separated my broody and her chicks for two days and then she was antsy, wanting to take her chicks out. So the she took the chicks to the run and mingled with the flock, protecting her chicks as needed.

My understanding is that she’ll shoo them away once she’s done raising them in 4-8 weeks. Before that she’ll teach them how to perch with the others at night.

when the chicks are older, I expect they’ll be lured with treats but they probably won’t be as friendly as the ones I raised in a brooder.

I only separated my broody and her chicks for two days and then she was antsy, wanting to take her chicks out. So the she took the chicks to the run and mingled with the flock, protecting her chicks as needed.

My understanding is that she’ll shoo them away once she’s done raising them in 4-8 weeks. Before that she’ll teach them how to perch with the others at night.

when the chicks are older, I expect they’ll be lured with treats but they probably won’t be as friendly as the ones I raised in a brooder.

Thank you for sharing! You made a good point that I could probably have the silky and older chicks up with the single hen and she would protect them from her if anything happened. Unfortunately silkies don’t roost but her chicks will so I guess they got kind of a bad mama for that sort of thing! Will have to watch for cues that she is shooing them away and then I will know she is ready. Thanks!

I didn't separate my last broody and she integrated them into the flock and all that chicken stuff.
She is still brooding them at 5 weeks old. LoL she's a great mama.

I didn't separate my last broody and she integrated them into the flock and all that chicken stuff.
She is still brooding them at 5 weeks old. LoL she's a great mama.

Thanks for the feedback. How old were the chicks when you put all of them in with the rest of the flock? Wondering if I could do that now or if almost 4 weeks is too little to go up to the “big coop” Thank you

Back
Top Bottom