When To Shut The Heat Lamp Off?

Laurajean

Slightly Touched
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I feel really silly asking this question.
hide.gif
I know that I'm supposed to lower the temp by about 5 degree per week. I do realize that's a guideline, and I know to judge it mainly on their behavior. They are now 35 days old. I've given up on the thermometer and keep backing the light further and further away, but at what point can I just shut it off? I'm in NH and the temps can vary from high 60's - 80's, but we're typically in the 70's each day. The chicks seem to change their preference by mood. Sometimes they'll sleep at the shady end and sometimes at the lighted end. In between naps they mull around all over the brooder.

My father came to visit last night and is wondering why I still have it on at all, but he hasn't raised chicks in 20 or more years.

So when can I shut the light off?

Depending on how many chicks you have and how much feathering they have, you could just shut it off now. They would just huddle up when they got cold.

Salve&Fluffer :

Depending on how many chicks you have and how much feathering they have, you could just shut it off now. They would just huddle up when they got cold.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that: I have 7 Bantams, 5 are Silkies and then a Cochin and D'Uccle. The last two have a good amount of feathers, but it's harder to tell with the Silkies. Their heads and necks are at that scraggly stage, but there bodies are pretty fluffy.​

You are supposed to raise the heat lamp UNTIL they are at a constant temp of 70 degrees. Once there (which at 5 weeks they should be) you can turn it off. BUT if you are going to move them outside, I would move them out after 2-3 nights of NO extra heat in the brooder area. This is to wean them and not shock them from having a heat light to outside with no light.

Also I've read a few places chicks are feathered out between 6-8 weeks old. I would post current pictures and see if people believe them to be feathered out or not. I had trouble judging because they still seemed downy underneath at around 10 weeks, but they were totally feathered out.

Hope this helps
smile.png
I put my girls outside with no heat light at around 7 weeks old. It was between 50-60 degrees at night here. They are alive and happy
smile.png

I was wondering the same thing, I have pheasants (3 survived) and they've outgrown the brooder (washing machine box) and I need to make something bigger, and maybe put them outside, is it too early. Temps here in Michigan are crazy, one day you get frost bite, and the next you get sunburned.

Quote:
Wow, really? The heat lamp's been off since they were 1-2 weeks?

I think they were saying that the lights have been off for 1-2 weeks, which would mean it went off when they were 6-7 weeks old.

Quote:
Wow, really? The heat lamp's been off since they were 1-2 weeks?

No, the heat lamp has been off the past 1 - 2 weeks.
smile.png

Oh, I gotcha, lol.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom