When to start offering a dust bath to young pullets

daddy_roo

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 6, 2011
Kentucky
SO I have aquired 10 GC pullets that I put in with my 4 youngsters I hatched myself. Out of the 14 there is one cockereal. One of my GC will eat for a while, then start rolling in the feed. Im guessing for the dust. Are they too young to be giving a dust bath or should I put something in there to let them start in with it?

Nope, you can give them dust at any time. I've seen chicks as young as a few days try to dust bathe. It's a really satisfying thing for them to participate in.

x2

They instinctively know about dust bathing from around day 1! They'll love you for it. Plenty of us have seen the funny things try to dust bathe in their food at two days old lol.

Quote:
Heehee, they are funny! I had a couple of cochins that would go into dustbathing frenzy every time they got on a towel. I'd get to tickle them under their wings while they did it, which sent them to cloud 9.

For the really young ones I like to use a tupperware filled with sand. It helps keep the dust managable while they are still inside, but gives them the same dirt bath thrill.
smile.png

I use sand, too. The tiny tots know exactly what to do with it! Peat moss also makes an excellent dirt bath, if you can stand the dust.

Dust bath is not really needed for young chicks. My birds go up to 8-10 weeks without a dustbath during winter hatches.
If you really feel the need to let them dustbath, sand works well and they will bath at almost any age.

I have 8 wk old pullets and I have only seen a few of them dust bathe in their run and that was a couple weeks ago. The run just has dry dirt, leaves, and some pine shavings. Should I add sand and if so is there a special kind that they like?

Back
Top Bottom