When to start to worry about frostbitten combs?

ok my multi quote is not working. cccccccchickens and foreverlearning thank you for your op's and advice I have petroleum jelly on all them and that will be the perfect time to put them back out. I really need to look at my coop again and see why I have so much humity in it. the windows were frosted over, and I just dont get it. Maybe I will go take some pic's and post them. maybe someone can see something I am over looking. Dont want this to happen again.
Thank You both.

welcome-byc.gif

Vaseline helps, also rub a little of Original Neosporin ointment on the black parts. It helps them heal a bit quicker and helps prevent infection.

Thank you... ended up calling the chicken vet. She told me her choice was bag balm.... so I tried that. So far he doesn't look any worse!

Just a little suggestion when it comes to putting ointment or whatever you want to put on it. Don't massage it in, that can make the whole comb turn black. Dab it on

Last edited:
Just a little suggestion when it comes to putting ointment or whatever you want to put on it. Don't massage it in, that can make the whole comb turn black. Dab it on

I am unfortunately experiencing just this- why would this be the case? I have 3 hens that half large swatches of their combs that are now blackened. The coop is not humid, but it's not heated either. The frostbite seems to actually get worse during the day when they're out in the run.

I am unfortunately experiencing just this- why would this be the case? I have 3 hens that half large swatches of their combs that are now blackened. The coop is not humid, but it's not heated either. The frostbite seems to actually get worse during the day when they're out in the run.
I don't know why myself, but my girls that have frostbite I took into the house and warmed them up and I kept them in. I will be letting them back out today. it will be getting close to the 40 deg. mark, and they are so bored inside. The hens I had left out in the coop was not let outside in this weather, In my op it was way to cold and any frostbite would only have gotten worse. So I put them on lock down.
I'm sorry for your girls, I hated it when I found mine like this. Poor babies.

Back
Top Bottom