When to STOP feeding medicated starter?

The protozoa responsible for coccidiosis is in the ground. If you are brooding indoors where there is no dirt, then they don't really need a feed with Amprolium because there is no protozoa. As soon as they are put outdoors and exposed to the soil, they are exposed to the protozoa.

Do not dilute the medicated feed. Either you use it or you don't. It isn't strong enough to kill an infection of the protozoa. It is only meant to help them immunize themselves so to speak.

Hi, I was just talking with the Local feed store and she was telling me that the chicks should be taken off medicated starter after a couple weeks. Mine are four weeks now. This concerns me.

Next question is should I put them on a 20 percent multi purpose layer or should I put them on a grower?

Or should I just drop them at this point and go to the 16 percent layer?

This is very confusing as far as switching them off the medicated since I have never raised chicks prior, so nothing to go on.

My concern was putting them on a mash which is primarily dust. I read where some do not like or eat pellets. So what to do.

mash verses pellets?

Grower verses layer?

And what percent 16% or 20%

HELP
4 months I do for mine medicated starter.

My baby chicks will live inside and away from other chickens until they are 3-4 weeks old. At 3-4 weeks, I will move them to the big girls pen. Is _that_ when I should start feeding them some medicated feed for a while? I can't see how they'd be exposed to coccidia in my basement per the above poster's thoughts.

It's easiest to feed the medicated starter feed from the day you get them, and if it's needed where your birds will be living, feed it for two or three weeks after they have been out at the coop and on your ground. You can use it up by feeding it longer, and your adult birds can eat it too.
Mary

I'm hatching them and they will never go outside until they meet the adults. My adult birds were vaccinated, won't this cause problems?

Hi, I was just talking with the Local feed store and she was telling me that the chicks should be taken off medicated starter after a couple weeks. Mine are four weeks now. This concerns me.

Next question is should I put them on a 20 percent multi purpose layer or should I put them on a grower?

Or should I just drop them at this point and go to the 16 percent layer?

This is very confusing as far as switching them off the medicated since I have never raised chicks prior, so nothing to go on.

My concern was putting them on a mash which is primarily dust. I read where some do not like or eat pellets. So what to do.

mash verses pellets?

Grower verses layer?

And what percent 16% or 20%

HELP
I have the same questions, as this is my first year raising chicks. Please any help!

Back
Top Bottom