When to stop the crumble

WickedChicksNH

Crowing
Oct 2, 2017
New Hampshire
Hi all
I have 5 standard size chickens (2 are actually only 3 months)
and 5 Bantams, all between 4-6 months

I am feeding Crumble and Pellets
However the standards will go and hog the crumble, I try to put the crumble in places the standards don't usually go in the coop. There are walkways and areas the smaller ones hang out, including my 2 still smaller standards.

Now I normally don't keep feed in the coops, but the little ones sometimes like to get away from the bigger ones and eat in peace.

My concern is the waste. More ends up on the ground or floor, I keep the crumble because I figure it is a better size feed for the little ones.

You think it's find if they all go to pellets or should I still keep the crumble for them?

thanks

There is no need to change between pellet and crumble just between starter and adult, I personally keep my flock on crumble flock raiser, made the mistake of buying a big bag of pellets they refused to eat so had to give it away. but I also have hens and pullets of different ages and a rooster in the flock, and just put oyster shell in a separate bowl for them to eat as needed

It actually depends on the brand name of feed you by... The OP may only be able to get layer feed in pellet form.

Not all types fof feeds are sold at every store.

I buy their feed from Agway which is a feed store here in New England and where I get most of my chickens

These are the ones I get

feed.jpg
feed2.jpg
feed3.jpg

There is no need to change between pellet and crumble just between starter and adult, I personally keep my flock on crumble flock raiser, made the mistake of buying a big bag of pellets they refused to eat so had to give it away. but I also have hens and pullets of different ages and a rooster in the flock, and just put oyster shell in a separate bowl for them to eat as needed

I have the oyster shells too. I sometimes see the little ones eating the pellets too. I guess until they start laying I will keep the crumble there too.
the standards eat the pellets too but prefer the crumble.

Back
Top Bottom