When to stop.

Fancy Feather Poultry

Cooped Up
12 Years
May 30, 2007
When do I stop turning day 18 or 19 I have Silkie Egg's and I have people telling me 18 and others telling me 19 im confused!.
sad.png

I stopped mine on Saturday which was day 18 for me and they are now pipping. I hope to have my 2 test babies hatched tonight or by morning. I made a homemade incubator and didn't want to do a full set of eggs with it being my first time so I started out with 4 and 2 were a no go. So my DD & me are watching the incubator now.

When in doubt, don't forget our BYC learning Center found on the home page. This is a quote from How to hatch eggs.

Turning
Turning 3 times a day seems to be adequate for chicken eggs. Turning is essential in the early stages. For the last 3 days of incubation when the bird is preparing to hatch, do NOT turn. If not turned to a fresh position frequently during the early stages, the developing embryo touches the shell membrane and sticks to it causing abnormal growth. Turning the egg aids these movements within the egg, and mimics what a mother hen would do naturally.

It is important that the eggs are positioned correctly, with the small side tilted downward. This is the way an egg lays naturally unless it is shaped more oval. The chicks will turn inside the egg and will be able to pip the internal membrane and get into the air cell. Moving them around during that time messes them up and can cause them to hatch on the wrong end or more in the middle.

It is really good you asked here but when in doubt I always refer to the information on the website as I feel it has been published and tested and is sometimes more reliable than information some people are apt to give.

Good Luck with your hatch and let us know how it goes.

Is there a difference between Bantam and regular chickens eggs I have one site telling me stop turning day 19 and you people tellin me 18. And Poision Ivy I think every one here agrees with me when I say you just give the vibe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom